Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bronica S & S2 - back pains Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Bronica S & S2 - back pains « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nickm758
Tinkerer
Username: Nickm758

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.

I bought a Bronica S last year in November and have 2 backs for it. One is the original that came with it (120) and the other is a 120/220 S2 back.

The S back has a problem with frame skipping/slipping. It *seems* to advance fine, but when I see my negatives, sometimes frames 5 & 6 are on top of each other (like a double exposure.) It does this with almost every roll of film I put through, color and B&W. I can't seem to repeat the problem purposely so I'm guessing it's a gear problem?

The S2 back also started developing problems recently. The counter frequently does not want to reset back to 0, which means new film cannot be fed through - since the counter won't move the film will advance all the way until it's on the take-up spool. I've found that sticking something long and thin (like a paperclip) into the hole at #2 in this picture: http://homepage.mac.com/time_pilot/images/S2back.jpg will make it reset. This makes me think it's a gear or lubrication problem.

Does anyone here have experience taking these things apart? Is there a blow-up guide somewhere? The camera cost me about $300 altogether and the other day I was quoted a $500 repair job (here in Japan.) Obviously I'm not going to fork out that kind of money, and I don't want to ship it overseas, either.

I've opened up the backs before and did some minor tinkering (they had problems before I opened them ;) ) so I know the basics, but I need a map of sorts to tell me what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

p.s. - Unless it's really my only option, please don't tell me to buy another back; I'm looking to repair what I have right now instead.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 165

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are rubber wheels in the back that have to be clean and not shiny or glazed over. I used to use alcohhol and a q-tip. Now as far as the counter not resetting check 2 places. 1 Check that there is no deteriorated foam in the slot that goes into the body .of the back. 2 There may be gummy old grease that has gotten on the counter wheel. I had an S model and liked it's focus, was more handy. it did have quite a bit of mirror shake which called for a sturdy tripod. Once you have this fixed check the the stopdown lever at the back of the helical, it gets stuck especially in cold weather, I remove the cover and clean , this usually fixes it. A ring moves back and forth for auto diaphram. I will check to see if I have a repair manual..Don

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 166

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could not find my bronica manual, But the late Ed Romney still publishes a manual on the Bronica S2-C, the S2 back would be very similar. His widow still has the company going. You can find it through Google, Just type in Ed Romney , Good luck and let me know how you're doing....Don

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice :-) I'll start tinkering with my S when I get home today. I hope I don't break it any further ...

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I began taking apart the 120/220 back. I was only able to get to a certain point, shown in this photo: http://homepage.mac.com/time_pilot/images/S2back_opened.jpg (the back bottom being on the left in this case.) What I want is access to the gears (at the top of the photo) but I don't see how I can access them?

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone? :-(

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 167

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the looks of the photo you can access the gears already. I would try a quick spray of silicone in the opening of the visible gear, going any further could be iffy without a print. If you do that make sure you dont get any on the rubber wheels. Don

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be okay to use some lighter fluid as lubricant? I'm not sure if I can find silicone here in Japan.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 170

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lighter fluid would loosen old grease but you have to be careful not to get it on plastic parts such as the counter window.

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it gets on any of the gears it should be okay? As long as it doesn't touch plastic, right?

I'll try that then, thanks :-)

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 171

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck and let me know how it works...

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry one quick question - what happens if lighter fluid does get on the plastic? Will it cause a lot of damage?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 172

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could Possibly eat up the plastic, depending what type it is, The older bronicas used mostly brass and steel in their construction. Don

Nickm758
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put some Zippo lighter fluid on the area in question and the counter seems to be working okay now. I went through a few test rolls (of backing paper only) and the counter reset fine. I'm hoping I'm all set now.

Thanks a lot for your help :^)

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 178

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

very good Nick: Just use it a lot and it will be okay, congratulations on your successful repair..Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration