Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kowa Kalloflex Automat I Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Kowa Kalloflex Automat I « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

I_am_nietzsche
Tinkerer
Username: I_am_nietzsche

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

I recently picked up a Kalloflex in near mint condition, and I have tried repeatedly, yet in vain, to get this camera to fire. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I am under the impression that the shutter is cocked and released in the same manner as a Rolleiflex? Could the film advance arm not be coupling with the shutter internally? Anyway, with the aforementioned stated, could anyone hypothesize a potential problem area? I would really like to get this camera up and running!

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter should cock when the film advance is rotated clockwise. It shouldn't take more than one rotation. If the shutter isn't firing, it could be jammed with dirt or grease. DO NOT force it. I suggest taking it in for cleaning and servicing. These are superb, potentially valuable cameras, and worth the investment in professional service, which is what I did with mine.

If you are determined to do the work yourself, I can only rely on my experience with other Japanese TLRs of that vintage. The ones I have worked on (Walzflex, Wardflex) come apart quite easily. Most of the parts are large and easily accessible. The hardest part is getting the front leatherette off in one piece. Even if you replace the covering, keep the original for use as a template.

Others in this forum can offer more expert advice on the disassembly and cleaning of leaf shutters. I simply removed it from the body and lens and dowsed it liberally in Ronsonal, and that seems to have done the trick.

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just came across this quote from the manual in another post:

"When winding the shutter and advancing the film the operation is a motion forward of crank (3) until it stops and then a motion back again until it stops."

BTW, the manual is available here.

I_am_nietzsche
Tinkerer
Username: I_am_nietzsche

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alas, so the camera does work in same fashion as a Rolleiflex... I suppose the shutter is truly jammed. Considering the condition of this camera, I think I will opt for a professional service. I have never worked on a Japanese TLR of this vintage, just German TLRs, and I'd hate to get in over my head...

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration