Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Virtus Leather Restoration? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Voigtlander Virtus Leather Restoration? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

I_am_nietzsche
Tinkerer
Username: I_am_nietzsche

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I recently acquired a Voigtlander Virtus that has some distracting rub marks to the majority of its leather surfaces. Also, the paint is warn and missing on many of the black surfaces. However, all summed up, the camera is in relatively decent condition for its age. Any suggestions on how to restore an item of this scarcity, or would it be better to just leave it alone?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 169

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't touch the finish , you could ruin the value. Just brush clean surface. And check all operations. From what I see it looks pretty nice. It's like the story of the lady who had many collectable coins so she thought she would clean them with brillo. She was very surprised to find out they went from $50,000 to $12,000 in resale value. Have you shot any pictures with it? There are many old films made for larger rolls. Don

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 285

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never refinish such an honest camera as this example, you will ruin the patina of age and use. If the rub/scruff marks on the leather are a distracting lighter colour, careful use of a black wax boot polish can make all the difference. This is all the cosmetic work I do on a camera like this.

If I was constructing a working example from a number of wrecked examples, then I have a different approach - In this case I always refinish the 'bitsa' to original fresh factory finish. This is the route I take in motorcycle restoration, so I feel the same criteria should hold for cameras.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 267

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don and Glenn are right, I fully agree to what they say. So when I have several specimen of one camera type I turn one (the beaten-up one, to be precise) into a user, which means it then does not matter any longer whether it has to be historically correct or representative of its type or model. A user camera may have a differently coloured leather or new features. But that is why I also feel sorry for historically valuable gadgets that have been turned into sth more modern, like say a 1930's radio with a newly added FM decoder for a stereo headset or, just because it is so "cool", a socket for a guitar pick-up.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 268

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NB ... cosidering your username: you DID know all that beforehand, didn't you?

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 91

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As my father in law will say, "If it's not broken, dont't fix it!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 286

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pablo,

Sound common sense. However you must bear in mind, that sometimes it is possible to pick up real bargains, from these 'I can improve this' merchants. I have a Leica M2 and M3 acquired this way, both at bargain prices. This is also true in other hobby areas. About 3 years ago I purchased a pile of dusty/rusty scrap, which I have turned into a very nice vintage Scott motorcycle. The previous owner had dismantled it in the 70s, in order to modernise it! He had been reading American hotrod magazines, and thought he would try it on a bike.

I_am_nietzsche
Tinkerer
Username: I_am_nietzsche

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thank everyone for the advice, and I have decided to leave it alone. I will allow the next owner to make this careful decision... to avoid any costly mistakes. Don - I have not shot any film with this camera... As much as I'd love to it just seems far too fragile.

-N.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration