Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Chrome cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Voigtlander Chrome cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Whitecat
Tinkerer
Username: Whitecat

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have more than one boby in really good shape and am trying to make them look a little shinier and newer. What products are recommended?
Thanks

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 74

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Autochrome or silver polish works fine. As a dry application, it does not strip off the chrome.

I_am_nietzsche
Tinkerer
Username: I_am_nietzsche

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are able to remove the chrome plates and wash them separately, then I would personally recommend scrubbing the plates with a toothbrush dipped in laundry detergent that is diluted with tap water. This has worked wonders for me in the past.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 290

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would only use metal polishes if the chrome finish was originally highly polished. If however, the finish is the usual matt or 'satin' camera finish, then the previous recommendation - tooth brush and diluted detergent - is the best way forward. Where one is dealing with an assembled body; you will find that a good wipe over with a cloth dampened with Ronsonal, followed by a good rub up with a DRY tooth brush can work wonders.

On certain types of body, I have cleaned the metalwork with a detergent dampened cloth - followed by the tooth brush. I felt happy using this method in those instances; not knowing your camera types, I can only say 'proceed with caution' if you do try this. People have very different ideas of what constitutes a 'dampened' cloth - water droplets drying out on internal optics tend to leave very visible marks.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 175

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Generally I just clean chome with isopropl alcohol, careful not to get on the leatherette. Also a bit off topic though the camera store owner I worked for wanted to add shine to his used cameras, so I cleaned the leatherette first to remove any grease then I took some Clear floor wax on a Q-dip and brushed it gently over the leatherette ,talk of shine wow, This is not something for a collector piece though..Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration