Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exa 500 lenses Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Exa 500 lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike1954
Tinkerer
Username: Mike1954

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi ive been give an old exa 500 slr with five lenses, id like to know if it is posible to convert these to m42 instead of the bayonet,so that i can use them with a different body as the leaver on the exa has jammed. thanks
ps my camera shop tells me they cant.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 179

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike heres the problem it entails the distance from the back of the lense to the film plane. there a lot of conversions, i've done some myself. If you want it to focus all the way to infinity there has to be enough distance from back of lense to film plane. some times there is excessive distance which can be worked out by building up around the rear. .then others the focus ring and helical can be compensated. then there is the stop down system that has to be faced. Some times it just lucks out, I have a zeiss tessar from an exakta that I modified for minolta srt body and it works fine except for now it has to be preset. One time at work at the camera shop my partner and I took an argus a and removed the lens with spring etc. We then found an old juice can made a flange to mount it on the body of the argus. The other end we drilled a hole and mounted the press camera lens and shutter. it worked quite well, till some smart aleck sent it to rence camera repair for an estimate to cla completely...oh well..any thing is possible, just try...Good night don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 523

Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Meyer telephoto that's been converted from Exakta to M42, it almost looks like a factory job: it involved turning down the original mount in a lathe to get another millimeter or so closer to the film plane, and then turning an M42 ring to slip over the end and securing that with screws in from the sides. The lens can still be used on an Exakta by removing the ring and replacing the lock pin for the bayonet, but it's now a sloppy fit from the material that was removed in machining.

The short answer is, as Don suggests, there are problems with making this switch. An easier solution for your lenses would be to pick up an Exakta body. Full size standard Exaktas are more reliable than the Exa 500 or the RTL 1000, although many of them need their shutter curtains replaced by this time. If your lenses do not have an external auto diaphragm/shutter release button on them, they can also be used on the Topcon Super D, which is a really excellent camera but not one you're likely to get for free.

Radenbach
Tinkerer
Username: Radenbach

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
yout mesage was the occasion for me to join this site, so I'm introducing myself as a new member.
Long time ago I owned a Exakta, I still think of it with nostalic feelings. Now they are very cheap on german Ebay, you get them - like we say - "for an apple and an egg". Look for one which is sold international. If you want to buy one and you don't find one let me know.
Detlef

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 526

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

welcome mike and detlef! i expect you both will find this site useful and interesting and look forward to hearing more from you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration