Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sekonic L-248 calibration Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Sekonic L-248 calibration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Machineboy
Tinkerer
Username: Machineboy

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys, just got a nice Sekonic light meter, model L-248 that didn't work. After some fiddling on the inside of the metering mechanism, I realized that the battery test switch was always on, making the meter really "hot" ie. spiking at all times.

After loosening a screw the needle fell back to normal position, and now the meter reacts very nicely to light. The problem is that when I compare it to the light meter in my digital Canon G9, the meter underexposes at about -2 stops. Is there a way to recalibrate the meter?

Machineboy
Tinkerer
Username: Machineboy

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I found the answer myself. There is a small adjustment screw just to the left and down from the light sensor. Turning it clockwise lowers the sensitivity. It only went down about 1 stop, so there isn't that much leverage. Still, I think the meter is more accurate now.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you used a modern 625 alkaline cell, that's why the meter is two stops off. It is designed for a mercury battery, which has been banned world-wide.

You could use a Wein zinc-air cell. Alternately, a 675 zinc-air hearing aid battery from the drug store, with an o-ring for spacing and a washer for shimming.

Or, have a Schottky diode added to the circuit to drop the voltage, and use a silver-oxide 625 cell.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration