Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki-4K jammed up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zorki-4K jammed up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My lovely Zorki-4K has been working well for months, but now it has suddenly jammed up. It started when I fired the shutter a couple of times at 1/4 sec. with no problems but when I changed the speed to 125 sec. it jammed. No film in the camera by the way.

I am always careful to set the shutter before changing the speeds but this time when I tried to fire the shutter nothing happened, the wind-on lever will not move, I can move the speed setting knob and I can hear the gears whirring.

Has anybody had this problem? any suggestions on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Alf

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 181

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is the possibility that there are film chips on the curtain gears on the bottom of the camera. Also did you try to put it in the rewind mode? Then back to advance. Also take the back off and look at the advance gears in the take up chamber are they clear of any chips? Don't force anything if you still are having trouble it might need cla and while apart look for any loose or out of place cams or cam pawls. This is not too hard of a camera to take apart and there is a repair article in the links. Don

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I did not put it into rewind mode, that is I did not rotate the knurled bush surounding the shutter release button. I notice that when I turn the bush to put it into rewind mode the wind-on lever moves fully forwards and back with the take up spool rotating. Would this indicate that the shutter gears are jammed with film chips and the top gears are free?

I'm lucky that I have a scrap Zorki-4K that I got for spares (it had a nearly new shutter speed dial) so I can strip that one down first.

Thanks for your helpful sugestions.
Regards - Alf

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 182

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alf: I don't know how deep you delve into repairs, but the zorki isn't that hard. Look at the Articles bar and go to the bottom external links to Olesons page He has an article on zorki Fed cameras. I think the hardest part was getting the pressure plate back in with the springs underneath found out by setting on B or Z and using a cable release locked you could hold things together when inserting the pressure plate, just don't use too much force of the plate. To take the top off you set and shutter on 1/100 and write or remember it, remove peremeter screws ,shutter dial with loosened set screw and unscrew it ,timer lever, r.f bezels, advance knob and counter dial lifts off and disc under neath then unscrew screws under Disc. Don

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 183

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't for get to cla everything especially the clock work which is on the top deck. Don

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Don - I have now found lots of useful stuff on repairs to the Z4K from Rick Oleson also the rangefinder forum. Although I'm only a beginner at repairs I'll take it slowly and follow your advice. regards - Alf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration