Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri 2.8 disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Petri 2.8 disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings All,
I bought the ubiquitous Petri 35 Color Corrected 2.8 rangefinder on Ebay for about ten bucks. It arrived with the rangefinder pieces rattling around in the top cover. I have it nearly apart except for the rewind shaft. The rewind knob appears press fit on its shaft and staked giving the impression it isn's intended to come apart. The knob shaft fits inside another, hollow shaft and has a groove into which fits a set screw through the main, hollow shaft that engages the top of the film cassette. Logic dictates after the set screw is removed, the hollow shaft should be removable through the inside of the camera, and the knob together with its shaft should come out the top. I've put as much force on the knob as I'm comfortable doing without having done this before, but the inner shaft, attached to the knob, won't disengage, even with the small set screw removed. Hmmm. I can put more force on it, but sometimes there's a trick that will prevent breaking 50 year old stuff. That's what I'm hoping.
All ideas are gratefully accepted.
(P.S.) this is my first camera disassembly. I'm having a ball, even if the patient doesn't survive.
Thanks, in advance, Michael

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 279

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure whether the camera you have is a "Petri Color 35" (this one does NOT have a rangefinder) or any other Petri 35 model with a 2,8 lens. Do not try and dismantle the rewind knob, in most (not all) cases it screws off (ccw) as a whole if you stop the fork inside the film chamber from rotating by for example inserting the blade of a screwdriver.

Krafty5260
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ted Williams said, "if you don't think too good, don't think too much." He must have been talking about me. I thought this problem through too much. Wernerjb is exactly right. The knob screws off - somebody kick me. Now, I have the body about and the lens assembly off. Next, I need to find a half mirrored piece of glass to replace the broken one in the rangefinder. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, so much, to Wernerjb for getting my head screwed on straight. I just wanted this thing to come apart my way, and it wouldn't. I'm loving fiddling with cameras.

Krafty5260
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the body apart, that is...

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer
Username: Shutterbug2

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have petri 7 rangefinder that you can have for postage. it,s just missing front of camera lens. outer green lens is cracked but plenty of nice part,s with case. rangefinder does work. can email pics if internal part,s can be of use to you. i,ve had it for many years i,m never going to do anything else with it except collect dust. James

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration