Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 ecr Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus 35 ecr « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cyclops
Tinkerer
Username: Cyclops

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any advice on the thickness of foam to use when replacing the seals on an Olympus 35 ECR

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the thin seal strips from Jon Goodman's kits; i put them in the body grooves as usual and I also glued them to the door, as was done originally:

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The door hinge seal was I believe 2mm foam -- not the sponge kind, the flat kind.

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently, I've read some discussion about yarn, instead of foam. The older cameras from the 50 and early 60s used cotton yarn that seems to last 50 years or more. The Petri I'm working on had yard on the upper and lower door seals and felt on the ends. That's how I'm going back, but I'm also going to try it on cameras that had foam originally.

My issue is how to apply the glue. I'm thinking a hypodermic needle on a disposable syringe would be ideal, but Walgreen's said I need a prescription - a rather embarassing moment. But, nothing worse than glue all over a delicate project.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Krafty,
The type of needle/syringe that pharmacies sell wouldn't be very good for that use - they would clog easily, and depending on the adhesive, you may have trouble with it gluing the barrel/plunger, too. They do have syringes for hobbyists with blunt end needles that probably work better. I've never needed them, though. Squeeze bottles with plastic hobby tips have always been good enough for me.

Canuck_curt
Tinkerer
Username: Canuck_curt

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you've ever refilled your printer cartridges with ink, you'll probably have extra syringes that would be perfect for this application.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just used the tip of a toothpick to apply tiny bits of contact cement along the door. You don't need a continuous bead; use just enough to hold the seal in place. That's the way mine was glued originally, as I saw when I removed the old seals.

Yarn would work, but Jon's seals won't break down as the originals did and they're easier to work with.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 145

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always worried tht yarn would slowly erode, constantly filling the camera with little fibers. Maybe braided nylon fish line would be more durable, it works fine for replacement on old leather hiking boots.

Beeb
Tinkerer
Username: Beeb

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about a fine drinking straw with finger on end? You can control the amount you pick up and dispense pipette style. You probably have one hanging around the kitchen already!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration