Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Super Memar lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Ansco Super Memar lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trowa8221
Tinkerer
Username: Trowa8221

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an old Ansco Super Memar and, like many others I have noticed, while taking it apart to clean, the grease has pretty much glued the lenses in. I have found that most people have a problem with the front and middle lenses sticking to each other but this is not the case. The front lens was removed with relative ease. The middle lens, however, is stuck with no plans on moving. I've tried heating it and I would try using lighter fluid but the lens is all the way in so the fluid wouldn't be able to reach the threads. Any other tricks to get this thing out or should I just try more heat with a side of hopes and dreams?

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 67

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once had this kind of trouble with a Solinar lens in a Prontor-S in an Agfa Isolette. The middle element was like welded into the shutter. The shutter itself was completely frozen. I took off the whole shutter and lens unit and soaked the complete unit in lighter fluid. I left it there for several month since I had got more important things to do.

After soaking it so long time I could unscrew the element with the help of a rubber sheet. Even then it was very hard.

Trowa8221
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll have to just try that then. The shutter, a Prontor-SVS, is frozen open so I'm going to have to take it off to get to it anyway.

Which direction are the threads on the middle lens? I know the front lens had to be turned right to loosen so which way does the middle lens go? The same way I'm assuming?

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 70

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have looked it up in my notes and I could not find anything special. That means it should be a standard right handed thread. Otherwise I should have noted it.

So you should turn counterclockwise to unscrew the middle lens.

Trowa8221
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good. It's still stuck so I think I'm just going to have to dissasemble the entire shutter/lense assembly and let it soak. Should be interesting.

Trowa8221
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I got the entire shutter/lens assembly off of the camera. I was attempting to get to the shutter blades because they were stuck open, but I realized a part had gotten bent. After fixing the bent piece and putting the speed governor back in, I have noticed that once cocking the shutter, it will only close with the 1/125 and 1/300 speeds. With every other speed, the speed governor arm catches the cam and won't release it. Any ideas on what the problem may be? From what I can tell everything seems to be in order but obviously something is wrong. Thanks.

Trowa8221
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally got the camera back together but unfortunately only the 1/125 and 1/300 speeds work, anything else looks up the speed governor and i have to take the front apart again. Just developed some pictures from it and it shoots great. I was definitely impressed by the quality. I took some other pictures with a Nikon FM-10 and they compare pretty well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration