Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIa top plate removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Retina IIa top plate removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Johnphoto

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an ugly IIa to donate its rewind knob to my nice one, which suffered a tragic loss. (I've jury-rigged a rewind knob by drilling a hole in a coin and attaching with a machine screw.) The ugly one was supposedly in working order, but the viewfinder must be cleaned, and the rangefinder doesn't move away from infinity until the focus lever has gone about a quarter of its travel. The counter assembly feels as if it has rusted solid...I cannot turn the counter. I've looked at Chris's pages. I want to take the cover off, clean, and see what's happening with the RF. (My repair competence level is at the lower level of the scale). My sense is the advance lever assembly is gummed together, and hopefully will stay together. I can tackle it later per Chris's instructions if I can fix the RF.
My question is, are things likely to fly apart when I lift the cover off? Any advice appreciated.

Top506
Tinkerer
Username: Top506

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Retinas of that vintage are pretty straightforward. The only real trick is putting the film counter back together, and Chris's pages will show you how to do that.
The whole RF/VF can come out for cleaning.

Johnphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It went smoothly; RF fixed and VF cleaned; nothing comes jumping off; just needed to keep body level so shutter and counter release buttons and assemblies/springs don't fall off. Only downside: counter wasn't working because the counter ratchet spring was broken. Anyone have one?

Johnphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In case anyone has a similar problem, I've documented my adventure here:
http://www.ragarecords.com/photo/

Top506
Tinkerer
Username: Top506

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Microtools used to have them:
www.micro-tools.com
part #RCS.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration