Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh 500 G viewfinder cleaning? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Ricoh 500 G viewfinder cleaning? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Machineboy
Tinkerer
Username: Machineboy

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I got a nice Ricoh 500 G which I replaced the light seals on. Lots of work, for instructions I found this site:
http://www.ukcamera.com/collect/ricoh_reseal.html

It's a really special looking camera, and I can't wait to try it out.

Now that the light seals are done, I feel the only thing that could improve this camera is cleaning the viewfinder. It's a bit dim and I wonder how much it would improve if it got a bit of a spring clean.

The problem is that disassembly of the top is quite complicated. Have anyone done this or have any instructions how to open up the camera? I removed the two screws on top, removed the winder and the rewinder, and also removed the three screws on the hot shoe. Still the top wouldn't budge, so I suspect this might not be the way in?

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 287

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera and its rebadged versions (Hanimex, Supedex) is differently designed, the front cover plate comes off as a whole, its four crosshead screws are hidden under the leatherette. The 2nd photo here shows the screw holes in the camera body (and you can also see that the aperture ring has to be removed for dismantling it): http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/tips/ri500gs_t.htm
W.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 288

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Machineboy, maybe my previous entry is a bit too abstract, here are some more details: the front cover plate is shaped like the camera back minus a hinge and it has to be taken off to get access to the innards. You will have to remove the self timer lever, the plastic grips on the lens barrel and the aperture ring before you can unscrew and then remove that thin sheet metal cover. The camera top is of more solid material and, like all the parts in reach, unscrews easily, everything can now be accessed. When the camera is open you should check the meter switch on the lens barrel for corrosion (there is no metering if the camera is set to "B"). Cleaning the RF requires the usual care, especially the closer you get to the meter. As everything on this camera is held together with screws, controlling them may be a good idea (adjustment screws should not be touched however!).

Machineboy
Tinkerer
Username: Machineboy

Post Number: 22

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Wernerjb, I'll have a go when I've finished shooting my test roll. It's a sweet camera, but the viewfinder is a bit on the smallish side. I hope it will benefit from a cleaning, it is a bit hazy as it is now compared to my other rangefinders.

Konicakrazy
Tinkerer
Username: Konicakrazy

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wernerjb, I have a Ricoh 500, I think which is badged as a SEARS AF. I appreciate very much your description of accessing removal of top cover by opening front cover after removing self timer lever, grips on lens barrel, apperature ring, then front cover. Are there any other problems that may arise, such as front cover to camera body connections that we should watch for. Mine works excellent, but rangefinder window need cleaning.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The front cover is just a thin plate, there is nothing attached to it. The lens stays put when you take the cover off. The flash shoe is on the top plate but you can probably swing the plate out of the way with the shoe attached.
Cheers
Greg

Konicakrazy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Greg,I appreciate your advice. Always pays to ask. I have quite a bit of experience with both the Konica T-3 SLR and Konca Auto S-2 rangefinder, but this is my first Ricoh so just wanted to make sure.
Tom

Konicakrazy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have gotten my Ricoh 500 ( Sears Badge ) all back together, and it works perfectly. Thanks for the advice I have gotten here. However, stupidly, I neglected to check accuracy of rangefinder until after I got it closed up. Now I discover that it is off about 3 feet, horizontally. I assume that there might be an adjustment which means going inside again. Has anyone done this ? Is there a screw adjustment, or should I just make do as it is.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,
The adjustment screw is accessable from inside the film chamber, left side of the top film rail.
If you adjust at infinity it should be nearly right for short distances.
Cheers
Greg

Konicakrazy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Greg, re: Ricoh, 500, (Sears) RF, WOW, that makes it easy and saves me a lot of work. Really appreciate it.
Tom in Florida

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration