Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 35 Test Light (strange beha... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica 35 Test Light (strange behaviour) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ishmael
Tinkerer
Username: Ishmael

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all. I have been mending cameras for a little while now and have just finished a couple of Yashica 35s.

I have come across some strange behaviour though. Both cameras have working meters but the battery test light only works with the battery the wrong way round, Rendering the meter and other lights inactive. This is the same on both cameras, the GTN and GT.

The test light did work ok when I first got the battery but it was dim and now neither will even light up apart from with the battery inverted. Both meter lights are still bright and function well with this same battery in the correct way.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

I will have a look and see if I can help anyone one on this forum with any repairs. I have some knowledge of OM1s, done a few Exakta CLAs, and even successfully navigated a couple of Rollei’s so I hope I can help from time to time.

I apologize for my spelling if there are mistakes but I am slightly dyslexic and spell check misses sometimes.

Ishmael
Tinkerer
Username: Ishmael

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I can now answer my own question. I just got a new battery and it works fine. It must take a greater power to light it than the others need. May also have something to do with the type of adaptor I have which is a big lump of solid machined metal. I wonder if this ran it down faster than normal.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 297

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be wrong (I do not know the electrical circuit of this camera), but in some cases the battery test circuit applies a 'load' to the battery. This ensures that the battery has some useful life left. Putting the battery in the wrong way round has bypassed the 'test load' and protection diode and somehow lit up the test bulb. I think your original battery has just become exhausted. If you think it has exhausted too quickly, check that the machined adapter is not causing an intermittent short circuit. A correctly machined metal adapter should not cause the battery to run down more quickly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration