Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Memo with a stuck shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Agfa Memo with a stuck shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Unionwhore
Tinkerer
Username: Unionwhore

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently recieved an Agfa Memo folder (c.1939) that I purchased on e-bay. When it arrived everything worked fine, after about an hour of "getting to know you" the shutter stuck in the open position. I tried taking it apart from the front of the camera to release it, but the shutter speed selection dial won't come off because the aperature indicating needle is holding it in place. Will the shutter be accesable from the backside if I unscrew the lens from inside the camera with a spanner?

Also, while it was working, I noticed that the shutter speeds in the slow end weren't operating consistently. This is the first camera I've tried to repair, and any tips at all would be greatly appreciated.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 543

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I'm quite sure that the shutter will be accessible only from the front. I had one of these many years ago, but I don't think I took any notes from it. My recollection is that the blades themselves moved slowly at the slowest speeds, I don't know if that was by design or if it was something amiss with my example.

Sometimes the aperture indicator hangs over the edge of the front rim, but you can still work it out from under without unreasonable force. I would give that a tentative try before giving up. Once you are inside, just find the clockwork gears and apply a couple of drops of lighter fluid to the shafts, particularly around the star wheel and pallet, and clean off any accumulated gunk around the larger moving parts that you encounter. That doesn't constitute a CLA, but it should be enought to get the slow speeds running more smoothly unless it's uncommonly dirty.

Unionwhore
Tinkerer
Username: Unionwhore

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I got the shutter speed dial off, but the aperature indicator got bent a little in the process (still functions though). I don't see any ready access to the shutter to release it from it's current position, unless I take the whole clockwork apart, which I'm feeling very aprehensive about. Is there any way to move the shutter without disassembling the whole camera?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration