Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Weston Master Meters - Cell voltage Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Weston Master Meters - Cell voltage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R_a_feldman
Tinkerer
Username: R_a_feldman

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know voltage the selenium cell in a Weston Master light meter is rated for (any or all models from I through V)? I have a Master II that is a bit eratic and a Master V where the photo cell is dead. I would like to try replacing the cell, but need some idea of what voltage to look for.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 118

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am away from home for the week. I have a Master IV and V, and might be able to test one of them next week, if I remember. Would volts to full scale be appropriate?

R_a_feldman
Tinkerer
Username: R_a_feldman

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, measuring the voltage needed to bring the needle to the top of the scale would be fine.

Thanks.

M_currie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 123

Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm home, but kind of busy, will try to test a Weston soon. I haven't forgotten (yet), but please nag me if you don't hear back in a week or so!

M_currie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 124

Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, here it is to the best of my ability. I opened up a Master IV which has been reading a little low but still has life in it. I gained access to the connections for the meter by removing the back plate and the hinged door over the photocell. The body of the meter is negative, and the zero adjust tab of the movement is positive. I found a light source that put the meter to full scale, then measured the voltage with that source hitting the cell. It came to about 150 millivolts. I cannot guarantee that reading to the last millivolt, but it was pretty close.

I did not try to find a variable voltage source and actually run the meter with it, because the connections here are pretty delicate, but I hope this helps.

OK, now I am going to try to put my Master IV back together.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration