Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord Va jams Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Rolleicord Va jams « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Rolleicord Va whose film advance knob jams every time I get to frame 8 or 9. After taking the side panel off, I figured out that one of the teeth on the gear of the removable frame counter is stripped. When the film counter gets to that tooth, some spring loaded lever pivots in just enough to prevent the release of the film advance lock.

Is there anything that can be done about this, short of locating a replacement frame counter?

Thanks - Markus

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 62

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are not married to the square format getting a 4,5 x 6 set with insert for the film window and the 16 exposure frame counter would be an option. Those come up for sale every now and again.
I have not seen the 12 exposure counters offered loose, you might have to wait a long time for one of those.

Rollei tends to be high quality when it comes to the innards, perhaps you could mill out the damaged tooth, braze (silver solder) in a steel insert and file the missing tooth on it.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 36

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I finally managed to fix this. The gear on the removable frame counter had about four teeth that were about 30% stripped. As it turns out, this does not really matter all that much, as long as the gaps between the teeth look like the gaps between teeth that are not stripped at all. If they are too narrow because the teeth next to the gap have been bent somewhat, this will make the gear that drives the frame counter ride up onto the frame counter gear and cause the film transport to jam.

I simply scraped these faulty gaps into shape and that did it. Then added dab of grease and now it works fine, again.

The mechanics in these Rolleicords is pretty amazing!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration