Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35-SP Metering Issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus 35-SP Metering Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Azza
Tinkerer
Username: Azza

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, i recently acquired a wonderful Black Olympus SP for a terrific price. Today i put in a Wein Cell battery and some film, then set off to take some photos.
I managed to shoot most of the roll without any problems at all, but there were certain times that it seemed like my light meter was possessed!
In the morning i pulled the plastic backing off the battery and let it sit for a while before putting it in the camera. When i did, i got no response from the light meter at all. The needle just sat all the way to the right doing nothing, no matter where i pointed the camera, or how many times i was pressing the spot meter button. I made sure the light meter wasnt being obstructed and basicly got a bit frustrated so i let it sit on the bench for a few minutes whilst i did something else. When i came back and looked in the viewfinder the needle appeared to be moving slightly. As i pointed the camera in different lighting conditions, the needle appeared to begin to come to life, as in it started to respond quicker and quicker until it seemed to be working perfectly, including the spot meter.
I set off for the day, camera in its case, and begun to take photos. I was shooting for about an hour then stopped for some lunch. After lunch i took the camera out and the meter wasnt responding again. I assume that it must turn off after a while when its in its case? It was quite frustrating waiting for it to come back to life again, so i took the battery out, put it back in, waited another couple of minutes, then it started working again. Took some more photos then went home.
When i was at home i was looking through the viewfinder again and it appeared to be unresponsive. Must of turned itself off again. So i leave it out of its case thinking it'll come back to life again.
Not this time though. I've had it out for about 15 minutes now and the light meter still isnt responsive. I cant figure out any real pattern as to when it decides to turn on and off, if thats what its actually doing.
Does it sound like my light meter is broken? Or just "temperamental"? OR maybe im doing somethign wrong?
I'd apprecaite any advice.
The condition of the camera itself is wonderful. Its essentially in mint condition, so it has never been dropped or tampered with, and everything else works beautifully.
Can anybody help?
cheers :-)

Azza
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm no ideas?
Do you need any more information?
Basicly the light meter turns itself on and off whenever it feels liek it. Loose wire? Faulty meter?
Is there anything i can check? Are there wires for the meter under the top cover?
cheers

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 47

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suggest you might try a new battery to start with.
RLC

Azza
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The battery is brand new.
I was thinking that maybe if the camera has been converted for 1.5v batteries in the past that using the 1.35v battery i have in it now will produce these metering issues?
I might try putting a 1.5v in it to see if theres any difference.
cheers

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer
Username: Ph0t0n

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a suggestion from a 35RC owner:

With a fresh battery in there and the contacts cleaned, move the ASA ring back and forth from lowest to highest ASA a few times; perhaps there's a contact problem there.

That's all I can think of...unless it's "Pilot Error" and you've got the aperture ring set to the lightning bolt or something.

Good luck. It sounds like a sweet camera.

Onrelas
Tinkerer
Username: Onrelas

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks PhOtOn, i gave your suggestion a go but it didnt seem to work.
I'm wondering if theres a wire loose somewhere, or a contact problem somewhere else.
Can anybody give me any more details about this? Do i access it via the top cover? Any ideas on what i can look for?
cheers

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The easiest and cheapest way to find out if there is something wrong with the camera is to use a fresh alkaline battery.
The lightmeter of an SP never switches off, putting it in it's case may reduce battery drain but it also cuts air arrival that the Wein Cell needs.
I would even drill a small hole in the batteryholder cover !

Onrelas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 06:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, i think i'll give that a go (putting an alkaline battery in it).
Its frustrating, because i know the light meter works when it decides to function (i've shot a couple rolls with it now). It's just frustrating waiting for it to decide to wake up!
cheers

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your problem can be in various places. Start with the easiest part, the battery. An alkaline cell should show if that is the problem, but it will cause the meter to read high. If that is the problem you might want to invest in an MR-9 adapter. If that's not it, there could be a bad connection from the meter to the battery.

You may want to have it serviced professionally, especially if it is good shape otherwise. A black 35 SP is a rare and remarkable camera. Especially if you picked it up for a "terrific price", it would be worth investing in to get it working 100%.

Onrelas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers mate.
I now have an alkaline battery that i'll try out in it. Hopefully that solves the issue. If not, i might find somewhere to get it serviced (eventhough it'll cost more than what i got the camera for, haha)
I have another SP (as silver one) that i use isntead of the black one.
Oh, if anytone was interested, here is a pic of them together : http://www.arransalerno.com/blog/index.php/2008/04/silver-sp/

And here is a bigger pic of the black one : http://www.arransalerno.com/blog/index.php/2008/02/olympus-35-sp/

Ed_connelly
Tinkerer
Username: Ed_connelly

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello! Is it possible to have the metering cell changed out if it is unoperable? I have a Black Olympus 35 SP and the meter is not working....perhaps it is just the wrong batteries. I bought the camera years ago--used--and we stuck some batteries in it at the pawn shop--I don't remember what kind--it was 1995--and the meter did not respond. I bought the camera anyway, and simply use a light meter. Perhaps in 1995 they were the wrong voltage... I need to try the Wein batteries and see if the meter is, indeed, functional after all.

Anyway, if it is really not working---can they be changed with a good one?

Thanks, Ed

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration