Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super - shutter button/adva... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax ME Super - shutter button/advance lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Burcs
Tinkerer
Username: Burcs

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there, good old google brought me here in search of some suggestions. I have an old Pentax ME Super that seems to be in need of repair. Here's a short video showing the problem. The shutter button just flaps around and the film advance lever seems to have no traction. Looking thru the viewfinder it's just black, so something could be stuck, too, like the shutter itself.

Video

I've read most of the other Pentax ME threads here but most seem to indicate lubrication problems or shutter problems. Mine seems to be mechanical, as in maybe a gear or cog is busted somewhere.

I've found a place locally that does repairs, it'll be $83 if they can fix it, and $15 just to look at it, whether they can fix it or not. Seems a reasonable price but my dilemma is I know they can't get any replacement parts for it, so if something's physically broken I'm probably out of luck. Unless, of course, they happen to have some replacement parts on hand, but that seems unlikely.

I've poked around a site that has the repair manuals, and I started to take it apart myself, but not really having the proper tools has made me rethink that. Any thoughts on the repair end are welcome, especially if it looks DIY to you.

And if I do decide to go with a new body, what type of body do I need to be looking for that will accept these lenses? From what I can tell they're called K style? Are those interchangeable with other types? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 63

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could get a K1000. That would accept the lenses and be all mechanical, only the lightmeter needs a battery. The M pentaxes start having issues at one time or another. They are (at least where I am ) so cheap and prolific I do not bother to fix them anymore, its just too much work. I handled (and managed to withstand)two K 1000 today and those were only 40 euros.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

puzzling.

the advance lever is like that if you didn't advance all the way. the viewfinder is black because the mirror is up (or is it?). so far it doesn't add up to me, the mirror is probably tripped but not released (shutter jam?) but the advance lever can only be like that if you are in the process of winding, and the mirror can not be tripped off if the wind stroke is incomplete. unless the lever under the shutter button is jammed...

any other info? mirror position? shutter- cocked, open or fully closed? self timer?

Burcs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, as I said I started to take it apart, but without even a small enough screwdriver to get those screws I put it back together.

I thought that, too, about the shutter (or mirror). I don't know enough about the inner workings so I'll just say shutter. I thought maybe the shutter or something may be stuck thereby not releasing some other mechanism that when released would engage the advance lever. Just seems to me the button should probably never be "loose" like that, but again I'm clueless.

The shutter appears fully closed.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3241/backopenso2.jpg
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/2084/frontopennk0.jpg

The timer works, or at least winds down when activated, but obviously doesn't "click" or release the shutter button.

Actually looking at that front pic, for all I know it's completely missing some guts or something, like the mirror, lol. Picked it up at yard sale eons ago just because it had a couple of extra lenses that looked decent, been sitting in a closet ever since. But I don't really know what the inside is supposed to look like, so...

If that's the case feel free to ridicule me mercilessly, heh.

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mirror is up. My sister's looked like that, she had stripped the winding mechanism underneath the bottom plate. Shutter fired, mirror up and the cocking lever moving freely is not a good sign.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

actually, the shutter is cocked. as Lucas said, it's not a good sign anyways.

still makes not much sense to me.
how the ME super works:
1.shutter button releases mirror and activates diaphragm.
2.lever opens curtain 1 when mirror is fully raised.
3. second curtain is released 1)manually (B) 2) mechanically (125, 2000) or electronically (all the other speeds.
4. both shutters close, mirror drops, diaphragm opens.

your shutter is cocked (ready to fire) and your mirror is up. not a good sign. something is out of order.

try pushing the advance lever with a bit more force, and then releasing it, it might not have completed the cycle, but i doubt that.

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cocking mechanism is not very strong. I suspect at one time the innards failed to complete the cycle (using a winder?) and somebody forced the lever and sheared off some part. The bottom plate is easy to get off, it might clear up the mystery if you had a quick look there.

Burcs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that definitely explains a lot. I would have mentioned that sooner but I assumed it was merely cosmetic damamge. I thought most of the working parts, at least as far as the advance lever was concerned, were at the top!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/633/imga0070ib2.jpg

Has 3 pretty good dings in the bottom. Sorry to put you all through the guessing game, I just didn't realize there would be sensitive parts down at the bottom, or moving parts anyway.

Where would one find a screwdriver small enough to work on these? I have an eyeglass screwdriver but the head is still too fat. Local camera shops like Wolf have them, or would something like Home Depot carry them? Sorry again, and thanks for the help so far.

Lucas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should think that most DIY stores have sets of watchmaker's screwdrivers. They come in an amazing range of quality from superb to downright garbage and price is not always a guideline. The best ones in my collection come from a 1 euro set.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wowzers...

well, if you're in the US or Canada, head to your nearest Radio Shack, they have good sets of 6 or so screwdrivers for $10 or so...? hardware stores are also a good bet, try Home Depot, they should have something remotely useful. I got a set of tiny screwdrivers (very useful) from Rona, some sort of Canadian version of Home Depot.

and disassembling the ME super can get tricky...
be sure to look here at least once.
http://www.mypentax.com/PentaxMeSuper.html

Burcs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah, bookmarked that already. Had already gotten to the "remove these 2 screws" part before I had to put it back together, heh. Not sure when I'll get a chance to go get some tools, but will report back when I do. Thanks again all.

Burcs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOOOHOOO! /Homer voice

Looks like success. Video (excuse the nasal-ness, so stuffed up head's about to implode)

I guess technically I only saved myself $75 since I went with the $15 kit from Radio Shack. Well, providing the camera actually works that is, but at least it goes through the motions. Thanks again, everybody.

Still have some work to do, tho. Going to have to take the top parts off again that I took off earlier. For some reason I can't change the exposure mode dial to 125x or B. I'm not sure it's getting all the way to M, either. Pretty sure I was able to change it when it was locked up, so maybe all is not fixed yet, we'll see. As long as it works on auto I'm more than a happy camper, tho.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 62

Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good job!

did you try to unscrew the ring around the shutter button? that usually shouldn't be messed with...

Burcs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I basically took everything off the top that didn't require a screwdriver. The repair page said it should have a C ring, but I want to say mine just had a regular washer. Either way I probably didn't reseat something right. The exposure compensation ring is a little wobbly too, things don't quite "click" into place like it did before I took it apart, heh. As I said, if it only works on Auto I'll still be stoked.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration