Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 Info Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon A-1 Info « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Received delivery on a Canon A-1 that needs a few items looked after. I'am awaiting delivery on a needed door for the battery chamber so that will be resolved shortly. The other thing is the camera has the famous "A Series Squeal". I have a few syringes with needles 1/2" & 5/8" in long. Would one of these be of sufficient length to reach the mirror damper flywheel? Also battery check button displays no viewfinder info. Can
this be readily checked out once he top is off?

Thanks for any help.

Bill Martins

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 305

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a feeling your 5/8" needle will be too short, for top entry. I use 1.5" needles but have never made note of how much is 'spare'. The battery check button displays no viewfinder information - it only lights up the LED adjacent to the wind-on lever. Do you mean that the exposure preview switch (on same axis as battery test button) does not work? In any case, once top is off you can check the contacts.

Note: Turn the viewfinder/exposure information switch to the on position, before removing or replacing the top-plate. If this is not done the switch contacts get bent/damaged. This is the most common cause of 'no finder info' on cameras that have had previous DIY surgery.

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glen, thanks for the tip on the viewfinder lever. That would have been another repair for sure. I 'll have to hunt around for a repair manual. No, both the exposure preview and exposure memory switches work. The battery check LED fails to light up. I at first thought you got some sort of battery check signal in the viewfinder, which was my error. When I get the top off, I'll swab the test switch contacts with a Q-tip dipped in a little vinegar and see if that improves contact.

Looks like I will need a longer needle. When you insert the needle, do you bottom it out against the mirror damper flywheel and then lube? I have some light sewing machie oil I was thinking of using. Or would WD-40 be better?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 306

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Manual available here in 'repair' section:

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

The Battery test button can behave in a funny manner sometimes. Make sure the insulators for the contacts are clean and free of debris, as well as cleaning the contacts. It is also possible for the soldered joints on the lead to be a bit iffy. As I said; if camera has had previous DIY, then wiring/switch contacts could be stuffed.

I place needle against righthand (nearest wind on lever) edge of flywheel. Applying one drop, letting it run down into the end of shaft/retainer junction, then releasing shutter a couple of times always works for me.

As for the lube - I have always used the lower layer from WD-40 that has separated out. One of my A-1 bodies still gets very heavy use - the WD-40 preparation has always worked. I have also used watch/light oil/Nyoil, when I have done this service on friends cameras and was away from my workshop. Had to use whatever was available at the time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration