Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta rokkor 58 1.4 stuck aperture Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta rokkor 58 1.4 stuck aperture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Machineboy
Tinkerer
Username: Machineboy

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Received a nice Minolta SR101 today that came with a Rokkor 58mm f1.4, making it my fastest camera in my bag. The problem is that the aperture does not work on the lens. It seems stuck at 1.4 both when I try to stop down and when using the stop-down button on the camera. When dismounting it still does not stop down when pushing the aperture pin (I guess that's what it is).

Has anyone opened up a Rokkor and would give me some hints? I can use it as it is, but it would be nice to get more depth of field when using the camera.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Machineboy
Tinkerer
Username: Machineboy

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheee! Fixed it. Some tips for others:

Going in from behind (naughty!) ONLY remove the 4 long screws. The 4 short ones holds together the lens mount and the pushpin that activates the aperture stepdown. I removed all screws and had springs, ball bearings and metal parts all over my floor. I almost cried.

There is another ball bearing inside the aperture ring, where the markings are. It keeps the ring click-stopping with each aperture. Careful, don't lose it. When assembling, put the ball bearing in the little hole, put the ring on top and then fit the whateveritscalled on the opposite side with the step down mechanism. Sorry for the poor explaining, but you might understand when you do it.

The rear lens assembly just unscrews as a whole. I used lighter fuel and cotton earbuds and rotated anti-clockwise a long, long time to remove the oil. Used tissue to clean up as well. Took at least one hour before most of the oil was gone, and when the lighter fuel evaporated the aperture suddenly snapped back. It's supposed to stay closed at f/16.

I'm a novice when it comes to camera repairs, but this has been one of the harder ones to fix. But that was mainly because of the error where the whole lens mount guts fell out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration