Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflexx Automat X shutter CLA Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Rolleiflexx Automat X shutter CLA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kkl122002
Tinkerer
Username: Kkl122002

Post Number: 50

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help!
My automat shutter needs CLA as the slow speed mechanism is jammed! Can anyone tell me how to open the front cover?
THank you.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 548

Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep: It's very similar to this 2.8C: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html

- the main difference being that you have to unscrew the self timer button before you can remove the panel (it's a right hand thread). The leather covering is not shown in the above sketch, but the screws are under the leather so you have to peel that off to get to them.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Rick !
My auotmat works again now, and also the self-timer. By the way, how to stick the leather back? Which gule/tape should I use?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 549

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use contact cement, there are several different brands but it's all pretty much the same stuff... Plio-Bond is a brand that many camera guys like but it doesn't smell very good.

I_am_nietzsche
Tinkerer
Username: I_am_nietzsche

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree... Contact cement is the way to go. After I do a CLA on a Rollei shutter I typically use a fine [0 or 1] watercolor paintbrush to apply the contact cement and then I dispose of it after the job is done. So don't be suckered into buying that fine art $100 sable brush! I also recement the leather to the camera in zones [work clockwise or counterclockwise] to insure that it is done properly, neatly, and with care... the self-timer will need to come off again, and be reattached after the job is done.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you!
But then, when I wind the shutter, I notice the front panel have some movement, a small degree of shaking. I did not touch the support and focus arm, why does it happen and how to solve it? All screws are tighten already.

BTW, my Rolleiflex have 'zeiss bumps'. Where do these bumps come from?

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 150

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I have read here the bumps are caused by corroded screw heads under the covering. If you peel of the covering you can clean off the corrosion and paint the screw heads to prevent reoccurence and put the covering back.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 550

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure about the panel movement, if everything is tight; it could be that there is some looseness in the focus cams on the sides of the camera... this is a pretty big job to reach those compared to the shutter, I would leave it alone if it's in that area, and if it's not bad enough to cause problems in use.

"Zeiss Bumps" are from a reaction between copper and the tanning chemicals in leather. If there is genuine leather (as there is with Zeiss and Rollei cameras) and brass rivets (as in Zeiss) or screws (as in Rollei) underneath, the only way to prevent them is to coat or cover the brass heads to keep the metal away from the leather. If you have an old belt with brass hardware, you will see the same thing.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see. Thanks a lot.
(In case)...if I do need to check for the focus arm or something (e.g. the shaking problem is getting worse) , which area should I open? And what shall I do to adjust the focus?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 551

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cams are on both sides of the camera. The one on the right hand side is behind the shutter cocking and frame counter stuff, it's a little involved. I have some notes i can send you if you get to that point... [email protected]

There is also a downloadable Rollei repair manual on this site.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Rick!
I downloaded the Rolleiflex repair manual. I am studying it. It seems it does not have my model. I will try in the following weeks after I have finished my works on hand. Please send me the notes, Rick. I will study it during these weeks. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Pk61
Tinkerer
Username: Pk61

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have read this post and I need to CLA the shutter of my 3.5F. I have take off the front panel but now I have no idea on how to do there are instruction in some other post or a link in the web?
Thank you

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 558

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The F series is more complicated due to the diabolical German meter coupling system. As noted above, there is a Rollei service manual on this site which you should download for reference.... I will also be happy to share with you the sketches that I have on it, but I make no guarantees that they will be adequate. If you would like them, please email me at [email protected]

Pk61
Tinkerer
Username: Pk61

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My is without the exposure meter don't know if this make it easy, I have already download the service manual and also I have learned to remove the front panel from your website, I will contact you by e-mail to get your sketches.
Thank you

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration