Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Polishing Aluminum bodies Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Polishing Aluminum bodies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shead
Tinkerer
Username: Shead

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks. New here and though I'd post instead of just lurk.

I've got a nicely functioning Univex Mercury, the body seems to be cast aluminum and it has some blemishes and scratches. I've worked in metals before and cleaned bronze and silvers, but haven't had much work in aluminum. Any suggestions to polish this aluminum? I don't know if a typical metal polisher like Flitz would be too harsh, Jeweler's rouge on a felt wheel would be OK but I don't want to have to tear the whole camera apart if I don't have to.

Suggestions?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 310

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use any good paste automotive metal polish, on polished untreated aluminium. Be very wary of polishing anodised or lacquered (treated) alloy parts - you can end up with the parts looking worse than they were, ie very patchy. I have 'polished' lacquered alloy with ordinary tooth paste. This will remove the yellowing associated with some early lacquers. In fact tooth paste makes a very good fine polish, for a number materials used in camera manufacture.

I do not know how your particular camera is finished. You can use a bit of tooth paste on a clean cloth and apply it to a non prominent surface - if after a light rub the cloth is black, the alloy is not anodised/lacquered.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 193

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is white metal. If it is the one with the rotary shutter and the dome on top. yYou might try buffing with rouge. Don

Griff
Tinkerer
Username: Griff

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the process of restoring a Univex Mercury II
that is quite tarnished. I ordered some felt bobs from McMaster Carr Supply that are impregnated with a polishing compound and they are working great.
The Mercury camera was never coat with lacquer(hence
the large amount of them that show corrosion).
The stock #'s are 4564A11 $3.77ea, 4564a12 $5.20ea
and 4564a13 $5.13 ea These will fit in a deremel tool that takes 1/8 shank bits

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used something called "Nev'r Dull" on all kind of metal surfaces. It should be available in motorbike stores. It's non abrasive and did a very good job on the chrome parts of my bike as well as on my solid brass Zippo lighter.

Don_m
Tinkerer
Username: Don_m

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always been a jelly man for aluminum---

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/repairs.asp?qfid=5&Product=170

I think this product is similar to nev'r dull.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=13&subid=47&plid=169

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just started using BRASSO and it seems to work well, I have used never dull in the past and it is a good product and comes with it's own wadding as I recall for tough to get at places I use soft wood or paper sticks like match sticks or cotton swabs and their sticks. These are all hand work. If you have a rotary tool like the dremmel with speed control you can get buffer wheels for it. A speed control can be made from a heavy duty light dimmer I like the lutron brand.
Good luck

Faxonpr
Tinkerer
Username: Faxonpr

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used the following on Univex Mercury and Kodak Signet cameras and the clean and shine lasts much longer than other products I have tried (years in some cases).

2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

There is no magic to the combination. You can make a paste of the tartar with the viegar, if you wish.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration