Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

C-41 Film Opinions, Anyone? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » C-41 Film Opinions, Anyone? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

I_am_nietzsche
Tinkerer
Username: I_am_nietzsche

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We all have opinions when it comes to our film...

Favorite C-41 Black & White Film?

Illford XP 2?
Fuji Neopan?
Kodak BW?

How about C-41 Color Film?

Fuji Reala?
Fuji Superia?
Kodak Portra?

What film has given the best daylight results?
How about indoor results?
Skin tones?
Landscape?

I'd be interested in reading others opinions... and perhaps trying some new film.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like XP2, and have done since it was XP1. The tonal range of HP5 with the sharpness of FP4. My favourite portraits of my daughter when she was four years old were taken on XP1. The downside is that its archival properties are poor. These favourite portraits only exist in print form, the negatives have deteriorated to the point of unusability.

I like the punchiness of Superia, which is great for sports and touring and that sort of stuff, and the more muted colours of Reala for portraits.

I'm still a B&W man. My wife cannot understand it. Or she didn't until I took a picture of our daughter with her own hours-old daughter, sepia toned it, put a vignette round it, and printed it. It's now a family favourite portrait, and not a colour molecule in sight.

Alex

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 34

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 35mm, Portra 400NC is my mainstay. I went through a bulk roll of Delta 400 and liked it, now I need to develop my first roll of new T-MAX 400 (TMY-2) and see if I want to switch. For 100 speed B&W, I'm impressed with T-MAX 100. (I didn't like the old T-MAX 400. Icky grain.)

For classics, whatever I can get! Well, Verichrome Pan is wonderful film. Portra 160NC in 46mm (for 127) and 70mm (for 116/616). I love my 70mm Tri-X for 616!

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, in 122 size, it's Verichrome Pan all the way, since that's all you can find that is alive. M'mm.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 64

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't suppose there is any chance of persuading Kodak to license the VP emulsion to another producer, like Fuji. I'd love to have Verichrome in my Isolette again.

Incidentally, I've been working on the scanning of my entire colour neg inventory, going back forty years or so, for cataloguing purposes. So far, those that have suffered the least in terms of fading and colour shift have been the Agfa emulsions.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 216

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like xp2 super for it's neutral negative color prints easier on b/w paper.. Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration