Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus AF Ilex Shutter Repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Argus AF Ilex Shutter Repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am giving an Ilex shutter from an Argus AF a CLA. I'm using Dan Mitchell's article from his website. Everything has gone ok up to now - the reassembly. I am having a devil of a time reinstalling the aperture diaphram assembly. The diaphragm assembly has to be installed onto a base plate in the shutter base - sort of blind. The 8 blades have to engage 8 little posts on the base plate all at the same time, without being able to see them. Does anyone have a tip for how to do this? Or do I have to continue trial-and-error attempts? You don;t know if it's right until you install the two brackets that hold the diaphragm assembly in place and try the aperture lever. I fear I'll eventually damage a blade with this method.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 552

Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recall the exact details of the Ilex shutter, but in general, when reinstalling a diaphragm, I set it in the full-open position so that the blades are all lying exactly on top of each other. This is the only way that you can be sure the spacing of the inner end pins is exactly correct to match the slots. Then, as you set the actuating ring into place on top of the blades at the f/4.5 position, you can work it back and forth just slightly and when it finds the right spot all of the blades will simultaneously click into place.

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I tried your method and found with a slight modification it did work. In this particular shutter, the Ilex Precise, the aperture ring does not open the diaphragm as far as it will go. I found by nudging each blade in a little - moving the post slots to a circumferential ridge in the diaphragm ring - that the openings for the eight posts are considerably larger (less blade overlap there). Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration