Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cracked Shutter Blade Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Cracked Shutter Blade « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone tried to glue a cracked shutter blade? Mine is cracked from the pivot hole to the edge. I managed to crack it while cleaning it - dummy. I'd like to try that before trying to make a new one. The blade is of the 1930's vintage and is black plastic, 0.006" thick - out of an Ilex Precise shutter for an Argus AF.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 553

Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ouch. i think i'd try low viscosity super glue, don't know if it's likely to work but there's little to lose at this stage. You might also try cutting a piece of very thin material, possibly brass shim stock, to fit over the cracked area and glue that to the face of the blade so that you have a layer of intact material that overlaps the crack. it will have to be very thin, of course, both for clearance and weight.

Waaaaste
Tinkerer
Username: Waaaaste

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I did one time for a Zeiss Ikonta was to fashion a new blade out of a piece of laminated peelable shim using the original leaf as a template. However, if this is 0.006" thick, then perhaps a 0.005" piece of shim stock could be used to fashion a replacement leaf altogether. Once the leaf is trimmed to suit, colour it black with a felt tip marker. Mine still works, although it was much thicker. At this thickness I don't think weight will be much of an issue.

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 43

Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a piece of stiff 0.006" black plastic that may be suitable for your shutter blade in a film retriever tool. This is the gadget for pulling the end of a film out of a cassette. The one I'm looking at is called a "Film Picker"

Regards - Alf

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I tried the gluing approach first - as Rick said, not much to lose (except maybe time). I contacted the Krazy Glue folks, and they said that I could use wax paper under the blade while gluing it - that the glue wouldn't stick to the paper. So, using a toothpick with a tiny bit of the lowest viscosity Krazy Glue, I laid a line of glue along the crack - hoping that capillary action would pull the watery glue into the crack. I let it sit for a few minutes, holding it flat against the waxed paper. Then I repeated the same on the other side of the blade. After it was set I put it on my light table and was able to see light through the glue. So I covered the crack with a black Sharpie. The blade seems to be glued ok. I have reassembled the shutter now and everyting seems to be ok. It will take a roll of film to be sure. If it breaks, I'll have to redo the disassembly/reassembly with a "new" remade blade. I'm trying to get a sample piece of .005-inch plastic just in case. Anyway, so far so good. Thanks for your help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration