Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica tl electro x aperture diaphra... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica tl electro x aperture diaphragm lever problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kiwisnapper
Tinkerer
Username: Kiwisnapper

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I recently bought a 2ndhand yashica tl electro x(ITS edition), this is my first film camera and my first slr camera and am very excited about using it but unfortunately I have hit a brick wall in getting it ready to use.
The problem is that although my lens aperture closes down to the correct size when pushing firmly on the exposure check lever it does not close all the way down to the correct size from about f4 to f16 when the shutter is operated, I use the b setting to see clearly what the size is. The problem almost disappears if I lock the mirror up manually before pushing the shutter release and when I add the new foam to the mirror the problem becomes worse so it's as if the diaphragm lever can only reach it's full swing only when the mirror also swings all the way closed. The lens diaphragm seems to be fine, there is no indication that the problem is in the lens. Looking at a not so clear exploded diagram of the inside of the camera it does look like these to things are linked together which makes sense I guess. Anyhow as to the exact cause I am stumped, maybe a loose spring or some rotten sponge that has fallen into the mechanism, whatever the cause I assume I will have to open her up to find out. I am a bit scared about this, especially removing the top of the camera casing which it looks like i need to do. I have hunted the internet high and low using google for anything on this camera that might help, I have searched the forum archives here without success on both the dismantling and the problem.
And by the way the lens does not have a manual diaphragm setting so I can't get around the problem that way.
Anyhow any advice on this tricky problem would be much appreciated, thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Canonized_joe
Tinkerer
Username: Canonized_joe

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can help (a little) with manual info - owner's manual is here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica/yashica_tl_electro/tl_electro-splash.htm
disassembly info is here:
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~coreya/yashica/repair.html

good luck - yell back if you make a breakthru.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration