Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

"a few specs that won't affect photos... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » "a few specs that won't affect photos" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I like to ask the simple questions as well as the tough ones, because it makes people wonder if I'm a dumb a**, or one clever bugger. You'll each have to decide that for yourselves.
When I see lenses advertised (separately, or on cameras) that argue,"one or two dust specs in lens that won't affect pictures," it makes me wonder, first, why won't it affect the pictures, and second, how bad does it have to be to affect pictures? And, what about "minor cleaning marks," or, "almost invisible scratches on the front lens element"?
When do I need to be concerned? Fungus I get. And, I saw a Perfex Fifty-Five with what appeared to be a bullet-hole through the lens. That, I could figure out for myself. But, seriously, what is so minor, one need not worry? Oh, BTW, any leads on a collapsible Tessar 3.5 for Contax II, et al, are appreciated, sans bullet holes, if it's all the same.
Thanks, gang,
Michael

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 554

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dust specks generally won't have a measurable effect on photos unless they're just horrendous: the effect of a speck of dust is usually to absorb the light that hits it, preventing that ray of light from reaching the film.... so it becomes a function of the percentage of the lens area that's blocked by the dust specks, probably a small fraction of a percent.

Scratches, and particularly cleaning marks, are another story: they cover a much larger area of the surface than dust specks do, and rather than absorbing light they scatter it. The scattered light bounces around inside the lens and does reach the film, but not in the locations where it's supposed to. Its effect is generally to reduce contrast by scattering light into areas of the picture that are supposed to be dark.

And, if the performance of that Perfex 55's lens was similar to mine, a bullet hole probably wouldn't make it that much worse.....

: ) =

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a great and complete answer, Rick. Thank you. I'm left without any more questions - on this topic.
Michael

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 03:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick's spot on, as always.

How badly can a lens be damaged and still take good pictures? Try this:
http://www.certo6.com/gallery/planar.html

Alex

Arnoldharris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked at the linked photo of what appears to be a lens of the type you might want to throw away.

Then I looked at the gloriously gorgeous photo that had been taken using that lens.

One of the better wordless but appropriate answers I have seen in quite a few years.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Arn

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 319

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In most cases you will find that lenses with cleanly cracked front elements, will produce very good images. Problems start to occur when you have 'flaking/chips' associated with the cracks - this can produce tremendous amounts of flare/distortion. The odd bug or two is nothing to be concerned about photographically. However the very thought that it is there, may cause one to worry needlessly about cleaning it out!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration