Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Oil on rear element Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Oil on rear element « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 161

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quickie...

I've just been given a 55mm Micro-Nikkor lens, suffering badly from oil. Apparently it's a common problem with this model, an early AI one, as the grease on the long helicoid seperates.

There's so much that there are beads of it on the ends of the aperture blades, and a drop on the rear element.

So... Do I need to worry about getting lighter fluid on the rear element? Am I making trouble with greasy marks and scratches? I certainly can't use it as it is, because it stops down at the speed of a catatonic slug!

Hints and tips for dealing with the droplet on the glass would be appreciated - otherwise, I've checked all the screws move, done the preparatory work, quite looking frward to working on something this modern!

Adrian

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 162

Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the purists, it looks to be this model, beautifully modelled by the lovely ebay...

http://tiny.cc/63sAh

Always helps to know what I'm talking about...

Adrian

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 92

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nikon is not a third-world experimental manufacturer and they don't make mistakes like that. Someone has had a go at your lens, Adrian. No doubt about it. Your lens needs a complete stripdown, the optics cleaning; the helix repacking with appropriate helix-grease and the iris-blades polishing with graphite and NOT oiling. The Micro-Nikkor is a superb lens and is worth the cost of a professional service if you can't do it yourself.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration