Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 Top Removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon A-1 Top Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could use a bit of help with the A-1 Top removal. I got the rewind knob off and I' am looking at the film speed dial which encompasses the rewind shaft bore with a circlip sitting around the periphery of the bore. The film speed dial appears as if it would just lift off as with some of the Yashica models - just held on by a dab on contact cement. How should I proceed? Remove the circlip first and all else follows after or, as it appears, pry off the film speed dial?

As to the rewind crank arm, is that held on by a left-hand or right-hand screw?

I think I' ve read somewhere that thecamera shutter button also screws off, if so which direction would that turn. Any help appreciated.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 320

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All threads unscrew anticlockwise. Set ASA at an easily remembered value, remove circlip and lift off complete dial. If you want to remove the shutter button assembly unmarked, you should really use one of the special tools that grip the total circumference. Alternatively you can; 1/ Wrap a length of watch spring around the assembly and grip the ends with pliers - making a small strap wrench in effect. 2/ Take a small pair of engineers pliers and file out the semi-circular cut outs in the jaws, until the cut out matches the diameter of button assembly. Also remove the viewfinder shutter lever, prick out plastic center and remove screw.

Final point - It is most important that you set the viewfinder info switch, under battery test button to the on position - towards white dot. If this is not done, you will make a bloody mess of the switch contacts!

Billmartins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have everything off the camera that would hold the top on ( I think ): rewind knob, film speed dial ( + associated hardware ), film advance lever, eyepiece shutter lever, shutter release button, AT Dial Guard, and all visible screws securing the top. Still, something is holding the
top on. It seems loose from the back side, but the front side doesn't move. Do the camera strap lugs screw off? They are the only parts I can see that might be holding the top on.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 321

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the lens mount trim plate off. you will find two hidden screws at bottom of pentaprism.

Billmartins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got clobbered with my arthritis and had to suspend
repairs 'till my hands are more able. I've got the
camera door partway on but had to stop here as I can't deal with door spring yet!

Your info has been most helpful. Will come back
with more developments when I' am more fit. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration