Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1 Prism foam and cleaning... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus OM-1 Prism foam and cleaning... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon_s
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_s

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an Olympus OM-1 in generally excellent condition from eBay. It has a few quirks, and I'm hoping it will be possible to fix it myself. I have the tools and the patience, but I don't want to get myself into too much trouble!

First, while the exposure meter seems to be perfectly adjusted, it sometimes "jumps" a bit. It also fails to work when I hold it vertically. I'm guessing this is an internal dirt or battery contact issue?

Second, there is just a bit of foam slime visible in the viewfinder, and the rear seals are almost completely decomposed. I feel comfortable doing the mirror foam and back foam, and have found the tutorial on this site, but how difficult is the prism foam? The "Olympus Hardware Resource Page" which apparently describes the fix is not responding - any chance that there is an archived copy?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 197

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless the prism foam is migrating to the screen I wouldn't worry about it. The back and mirror foam is a lot easier to get started on, and again it depends how familiar you are with repairing cameras. The best access would be from the top with the top cover off. Check this site for removal data, I think Rick Oleson has info on it.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 322

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whether you do the prism foam or not - if you remove the top, you should remove all visible signs of degraded foam. Silly as it seems, your meter problems could be caused by bits of the said product.

Spyderman
Tinkerer
Username: Spyderman

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the prism is still in usable condition, remove the prism foam as soon as possible. It will destroy the silvering of the prism, and then the prism will have to be replaced. Fortuantely a prism from OM-10 is exactly the same, and OM-10's aren't very expensive.

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definately remove the prism foam! It is very easy to do once the top is off.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration