Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica-Mat (original) loose/broken f... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica-Mat (original) loose/broken focusing knob « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sroll
Tinkerer
Username: Sroll

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. A while ago I acquired my grandmother's 1969 Yashica-Mat TLR, which she gave me to fix because my uncle had mistakenly used the the self-timer on the "X" setting and froze the shutter. Last night I successfully refurbished the shutter, however, after reassembling the whole camera, I went to turn the focusing knob and it became incredibly loose and stopped moving the focusing arms! I was disapointed to say the least! Anyway, could it be possible that the small nut holding the knob to the cam shaft has simply loosened, and if so, how do you gain access to this nut? Any help would be appreciated.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 559

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a pair of spanner holes in the focus knob? If so, unscrew the face of the knob, it should be hollow with a threaded shaft and nut inside.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 194

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After tightening the focus knob and there is still a problem , which I sort of doubt. There is a shaft that runs through the body it is squared on the ends to hold the cam which moves the deck. It could possibly come loose but I sort of think it's the knob. Depending on the model of mat some had a plastic snap cap some a spanner to access the nut. But it should be an easy access. Let me know if kyou are having trouble I have some old repair books on them , send me your address and I will mail it. I have it mostly committed to memory anyway...Don

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 43

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talking about Yashica-Mat focus knobs, I just managed to pick up such a camera on Ebay for a mere $9 plus shipping, and the only two things missing are the name plate and the focus knob. I'm sure the shutter will need some work but I'm sure I can handle that. Now here's my question. I have a number of parts TLRs (Kodak Reflex, Ciro Flex) and I was hoping to rig up something to use one of those focus knobs on the Yashica-Mat. Do you think that such a focus knob transplant could be done, or will I need to look for another parts camera? The camera is in the mail so I have not had a chance to look at it, yet.

Sroll
Tinkerer
Username: Sroll

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the help everyone. It turned out all the camera needed was the nut to be tightened, and I wouldn't have found that without knowing how to remove the cap with the spanner holes. Also, there appears to be a brownish residue inside the knob; is it possible that this was some kind of glue, and if so, should I use hot glue or some kind of industrial-strength adhesive on the nut?

Thanks Again,
Sean

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 195

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean: Great news, There is some sort of glue keeping the nut stationary. Don't use epoxy just in case you have to redo it some day which I doubt. And as far as modidying a Kodak knob to a yashicamat who knows , do some measurements for the clearances and what size center hole you have to work with. Good luck and have fun..Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration