Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD-7 shutter speed problem - ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta XD-7 shutter speed problem - fires at the same speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dimi_dinev
Tinkerer
Username: Dimi_dinev

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, folks!

My XD-7 always fires at 1/1000 (or 1/500), at any speed setting. The mechanical O-speed works fine, of course, everything else works normally. The problem can be temporarily solved by RUBBING THE BATTERY - then all speeds start working again. However, I think the trouble generally intensifies as time passes, as even rubbing doesn't seem to help much any more.

I brought the camera to a friend of mine who has professionally fixed classic cameras his whole life. He was eager to help me, tried with different batteries, opened the whole camera, cleaned everything, looked after the condensers, changed one condenser - but couldn't solve the problem in the end.

The camera has been used with great care. It is in a A+ condition. No scratch on it, new batteries, etc. I have used it regularly past the last year.

Do you know, or think to know, where the problem could be?

Jed
Tinkerer
Username: Jed

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts in the camera? If rubbing the batteries provides temporary relief, I suspect the camera contacts .

Dimi_dinev
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jed, this was one of the first things I tried to do.

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If a professional repairman could not find a cure, I would be very careful about making suggestions. Anyaway my two cents:

I assume the camera always fires at 1/1000 or 1/500 with the batteries in, because otherwise the shutter should not be able to release.

I also assume that this happens irrespective of whether the camera is in shutter priority, aperture priority or manual metering mode.

I further assume that in aperture priority mode, this happens irrespective of whether the diafragm is fully open or fully closed.

This being the case, the only thing I can think of is that the meter has gone bonker, and always reacts as if you were aiming straight at the sun.

This is rather puzzling, because when meter go bad this normally is in the opposite direction.

Ezio
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On better though, my previous post is senseless. With the camera on shutter priority or manual, the shutter should fire at the selected speed irrespective of what the meter thinks.

The problem is thus in the shutter itself.

Dimi_dinev
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ezio, thank you for your suggestion, but it can't be the meter. The metering is correct, as I can see from the LED lights in the viewfinder. Also, the problem persists in M-mode.

Ezio
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say that "O" works as it should. If I remember correctly this should be 1/60. Is this so? If yes, then the problem is neither the meter nor the shutter but rather the link between the two. That is, the meter reads correctly but the meter somehow always receive wrong orders. How this could happen is beyond me.

If on the other hand "O" works but at 1/500 or 1/1000, then it's most definitely the shutter.

I

Sigkyrre
Tinkerer
Username: Sigkyrre

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ran into this problem trying to fix something else on my XD11. I had the shutter taken out, and during assembly, a wire to the shutter magnet had broken off at the solder point. The camera metered correctly, but the shutter would be 1/1000 at the electronic settings.

If you can't find any broken wires, chances are you have a defective coil or burnt ICs. You can measure the resistance through the shutter magnet without taking the shutter out. There's a tiny piece of black tape covering a red and a brown wire at the top of the prism. If there is no connection between these wires, you either have a defective coil or a loose wire somewhere.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration