Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro 35 gsn shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica electro 35 gsn shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wubbzy
Tinkerer
Username: Wubbzy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just bought a gsn for a very cheap price, and in mint condition (externally). the lens has minor fungus infestation but after having it cleaned, it is now crystal clear again, no traces of fungus can be found. the p.o.d. was also replaced, and the camera now produces a loud "clunk" everytime i wind the film advance lever.

however, during night shots when the camera uses slow shutter speed, i need to press down the shutter release button until the shutter blades close or else the shutter blades will close immediately after i release the button which makes the shot underexposed....

is that normal?

the battery i am using is new, the lightmeter seems ok, exposure time varies everytime i change the ASA & aperture settings (i used a stopwatch).

thanks in advance!!!

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 196

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you got it working right. The electro 35 had some wierd things about it , it made a squeal when it closed the shutter after a long exposure, and batteries as you must have found out are not on every corner. And it sounds like the meter is working, The next best thing is to shoot a roll of film with. The yashinon is a sharp lens, you'll like it. Don

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot tell specifically about your camera but I can confirm that such features existed. The manual of my Minolta 110 zoom states that you will have to keep the shutter release pushed down until the shutter closes again. If you lift your finger before that the shutter closes immediately - exactly as you describe it.
Although it's completely different cameras from different manufacturers sometimes there are philosophies on how things should work which are found in similar items from various manufacturers in a certain region.
In this case the similarity ends with both being cameras with aperture priority automatic exposure ;-)

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 154

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you go to the top of this page and click on the "Instruction Manuals" button you will find a manual for the GSN. I can't find any statement telling you to hold down the shutter button to complete an exposure (except when the shutter ring is set at "B"). I've never found it to be necessary on mine but maybe I've never taken a sufficiently long exposure. I've been using a small 6 volt Radio Shack battery in mine and it seems to work OK.

Scanogram
Tinkerer
Username: Scanogram

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New member here. I repaired cameras from 1980 to 1986 so I will contribute to this site when I can.

In the Electro 35, the release-switch rod controls the point where the release-switch latch drops into engagement. This latches the switch to maintain power when the release button returns to its rest state. It remains latched until you cock the shutter for the next picture.

Turning the screwdriver-slotted end of the release-switch rod controls the point at which the release-switch latch drops into engagement. The release-switch latch should engage at the same moment the shutter releases. It should only need a small adjustment of the release-switch rod in the bottom of the camera. When it is working properly you may be able to hear it pop up when you begin to advance the film.

I have a repair manual that I'll try to get scanned fairly soon.

Regards,
Gary

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 155

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this imply that battery current is being used until the camera is cocked again?

Wubbzy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks guys, i really appreciate your replies... just finished my first roll and very excited to see the results....

Richb
Tinkerer
Username: Richb

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I powered up my electro to confirm there is no need to hold down the shutter for long exposures. There is nothing in the schematic to inidcate a need to hold the release,but just to make sure I didn't miss any cirucit path I did the test.

The switch sequence is red lamp circuit, then the yellow, then the shutter timing.

The only "forced" close via the shutter release is in the "B" cirucit, to give us positive shutter control.

Thanks, scanogram, for the reminder on that release-switch latch adjustment.
Rich

Wubbzy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks to scanogram, just a few turn of the release switch latch thing & my gsn works perfectly now, no need to hold down the shutter button for long exposures.

Golfmania
Tinkerer
Username: Golfmania

Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my 35 gtn is having strange problem. once i press the release butter the leave shutter remains the same position and never come back until i wind the film advance lever and press the release buttun again then i come back. i tried to find the screwdriver-slotted end of the release-switch rod but coundn't. any idea please?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration