Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 139 cocking lever stuck... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax 139 cocking lever stuck... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kdryan
Tinkerer
Username: Kdryan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all...

I have a Contax 139 that was knocked off of a table a while back and since then the winding lever is stuck and will not move. I have tried several times to find someone to fix it, but none of the camera stores in my area want to touch a film camera, let alone a Contax. I've found a couple of places on-line, but they all want me to ship them the camera before I can get any kind of and estimate (understandable, but not desirable)>

I have absolutely NO experience in camera repair, but am willing to at least give it a shot. It's been a great camera and the lenses take beautiful pictures. Can someone suggest where I might start? I don't think I'm going to go too deep into it, as I am inexperienced, but I don't mind taking a peek here or there if I can get the top off of the thing...

Kevin

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 323

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the light of your stated experience, I do not think that opening the camera up will tell you much. You will have no real idea if anything is out of place. OK large broken pieces are an easily spotted sign - but then you will have to source spares.

Initially I suggest that you carefully examine the camera for dints. Look at the wind on/cocking lever, does it look misplaced or bent on the shaft. If all looks normal, give the camera a sharp knock - hold at 'rewind end' and strike camera into the open palm of your free hand. Strike the base of camera under rewind lever. If the camera is still inoperable, I would send it away - if the camera is of value to you. You can find out the cost of a replacement via eBay, then you will have a value figure for the estimated cost of repair.

If you still want to go down the DIY path, I am sure somebody will post details of how to 'open the can'. This is a camera that I have not worked on, so cannot help - best of luck.

Kdryan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well if I smack the bottom on the palm of my hand, I can wind it and I can see the first curtain go down when I do, but the shutter won't fire...

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 88

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a fairly robust camera. It must have taken a serious hit.

It's fairly safe to take the bottom off (three screws) and all that will fall out is the triangular black plastic spacer around the tripod socket and the rewind release button. This model uses a long obstruction lever to to prevent further winding when the shutter is already wound.

You will see it extending halfway across the bottom of the camera. It also controls an interlock switch which will allow the shutter to fire when the whole thing is properly wound.

I think that you have serious impact damage as Glenn has stated. But you have little to lose at this point by at least looking at the situation at the bottom of the camera.

On ebay, a good serviced 139 with some type of warranty from a good seller will be over 150USD, and sometimes higher if in really nice cosmetic condition. Compare that with whatever repair estimate you find bearing in mind that a camera with impact damage is going to have a much higher than standard repair cost.

Mike

Kdryan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took the bottom of and found the lever. When you move it, it frees up the winding handle, but the shutter still won't fire. It's looking more like I have a real nice door stop here...

Here's a weird thing. I found a camera repair guy about ten miles from my house! He's one of the few guys in Florida who does camera repair and I made arrangements to take the thing over to him on Tuesday for a look...

Kevin

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 89

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good for you.

Let us know what you find out after next Tuesday.

Hope for the best but be prepared for otherwise.

Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration