Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-matic 7SII variable resist... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta Hi-matic 7SII variable resistor original setting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dranav
Tinkerer
Username: Dranav

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Few days ago I got my new toy - 7SII. The seller advertised it as very clean and just CLA'd. And it really is. Working smooth as new. With one "minor" problem. Technician that CLA'd the camera had the meter "adjusted" for new batteries' voltage. I talked to technician and he said that only thing he done was adjustment to variable resistor. I've been to school with my junker Canonet and read trough a lot of material after getting few suggestions on this forum and I know that it simply can't be done that way. My tests just confirmed it - not even close to linear reading. What I would like to do is to undo "the magic" he has done to meter and use zinc-air batteries with it.

Now, my theory is that all 7SII cameras are adjusted to more or less the same setting on variable resistor in factory. If some of you have the one that is metering properly with zinc-air and some good will to check the reading on resistor and post it here, i could copy the setting and undo the magic without spending too much time recalibrating in which I'm not experienced in.

I've just measured setting on mine and my instrument shows very close to 3.6 kiloohms on variable resistor which max resistance would be around 5 kiloohms. I'm not exactly sure that it can be measured this way, but I guess it can, while the cap is on...

How much does your read? Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Drazen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dranav
Tinkerer
Username: Dranav

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was impatient, so I decided to try it out myself. It was far easier than I first thought. After few minutes adjusting for linearity I get readings that are identical to my good working Canon A-1 throughout the range of EVs. At least after half an hour of testing in differently lit rooms in my apartment and on the balcony pointed to the sky. Setting that seems to be correct is 1.95 kiloohms. Still, I'd like to hear how much other have. So, if it will be in your way, please take a note of it and post it here.

Regards,
Drazen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration