Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax iia - shutter CLA Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax iia - shutter CLA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

after reading here for a while, its time for my first question.

I recently bought a contax iia. After some cleaning, the shutter works on slower speeds (up to 1/100), but travels colsed on 1/500 and 1/1250. At 1/250, exposure seems a bit short, when I check it by looking through the shutter at a CRT while firing the shutter.

Is this something that only needs more cleaning, or where would I have to adjust the shutter to correct this behaviour?

Thanks,

Dirk

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 561

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a cleaning issue, very common with the IIa and IIIa. (it doesn't ever happen on the II and III)

If you haven't already come across them, I have some brief notes here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-62.html

The gearing between the horizontal shutter shafts and the vertical shafts of the timing system is complex and the bevel gears impose a side load on the shafts which makes them especially prone to friction when the lubricants get old. A small amount of hesitation in one of these can have a bad effect on the faster speeds. It may take 2 or 3 trips cleaning and relubing before you really get it right, but once it's right it should stay good for several years.

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick,

I have your sketches, they're very helpfull. Ok, more cleaning then...

Pwb2008
Tinkerer
Username: Pwb2008

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i`m new at this-,ihave a contaxIIa i'm told needs a major shutter cleaning.can anybody assist me with how to do it knowhow please

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 335

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Rick Oleson is the acknowledged expert, you should read his notes (follow link in his post). If after reading these you are still non the wiser, I would suggest you take the camera to a repair shop. One's first cla can be rather daunting, and ideally you want to start on a simple camera. The 11a is complicated and not the best entry subject, it all depends how confident you feel.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also, this site has some useful advice, but after a read through a few pages, it makes me think that I've been doing it all wrong.

p'rapse you should email the lad if you have questions, he seems to know his stuff.

http://www.zeisscamera.com/

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 339

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the only answer you will get is 'Send it to me'. The gentleman is running a business, not a free advice centre. The small print makes interesting reading. It is obvious he knows these cameras inside out, and his work seems to be above reproach. However; he suffers from the usual 'one man band doing beautiful work' headache, a very large backlog of work. It even costs a $50 deposit to join the waiting list.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration