Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta AL Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta AL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pwitkop
Tinkerer
Username: Pwitkop

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently found this forum and the archives have been a great resource for for fixing my 'new' yashicamat, so I'd like to ask for some guidance before embarking on my second camera repair project. I just received a Minolta AL, which is in generally good condition (the meter even seems fairly accurate), but has a couple shutter issues. The shutter is very slow at 1/15'th and below. The whirring is only intermitant, but it does open and close at all speeds, and the shutter release doesn't pop back up very quickly after it's pressed. I'm assuming from what I've read these issues are likely gummed up lubricants, which should be cleaned with lighter fluid, does this sound correct? Also the front shutter blade looks loose; if I tip the camera upside down, it falls down a bit, and when tipped the other way, falls back into place. Is this common, and is this a fairly simple issue to deal with? Also any instructions/advice on properly opening the shutter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, and it's really great to see a forum so willing to share information.

Peter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think if any of the shutter (or aperture) blades are loose, then that qualifies as a pretty major problem. It also requires a pretty extensive disassembly to fix it. It is a difficult repair, but certainly do-able if you have the patience and the right tools. I recall that one of the repair articles on this site has some good tips on getting at the shutter blades. I think it was the one about the Yashica Lynx 5000.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration