Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Auto S2 questions and first post. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Auto S2 questions and first post. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yellowjeep
Tinkerer
Username: Yellowjeep

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and to camera repairs so please bear with me.

I just acquired at Konica Auto S2 on ebay. I got the camera today,and it looks really nice. The exterior is very near mint except for on the bottom where it appears somebody one engraved their name and somebody later scratched it out. I'm happy with the physical condition. The mechanicals are a different story. The aperture blades are stuck at f/16 and the range finder mirror is presumably bouncing around in the top of the camera.

I have read Kar Yan Mak's article on the 1.6 at the suggestion of another forum.

I have just a few questions. I had no problem getting the the rings that holds the hood and the logo plate off but I can't figure out how to get the front element off to access the shutter and and the blades. Is this the best way to go about it? Should I remove the whole lens?

I guess I just need some first hand advice that goes a little bit more in-depth.

Yellowjeep
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I am nothing if not impatient.
The mirror has been re-glued and realigned. This was actually much easier than I thought.

The aperture blades have been flushed with lighter fluid, and they are drying over night. I think it should work as they did snap in to place with very minimal coaxing before being flushed.

I got the barrel as tight as I could from the front, there is still a little play. I think I can fix it from the back but I guess that will have to wait until I tackle the capacitor so I can use 1.5v batteries and still meter correctly.

Since I am putting this much work in to the camera I am thinking about slapping on some garish (or maybe just classy) leather to replace the leatherette on there now. Has anybody used cameraleathers.com? I read somewhere that they were getting bad about actually shipping the orders. Has anybody cut their own leathers? Any advice?

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 56

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used cameraleather.com often and recently. I've never had a problem. But one thing to note: Morgan doesn't keep anything in stock; he cuts the leather when you order it, so it may take him a day or two to get to your order, depending upon how busy he is.

I have cut my own leather a few times, but I don't mind waiting for the precut kind.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 157

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#675 zinc/air hearing aid batteries are less than $! each, put out 1.4 volts and work well in most applications as a subsstitute for mercury batteries.

Yellowjeep
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A question on the lens. It seems like the aprature and shutter rings are the things that are loose, maybe just a tiny bit of play in the front element. Is this par for the corse or can I fix this?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like it's a matter of adjusting the brass wavy-nut ring. It is locked in place with a single rivet with a notched head (looks like a machine screw). Tighten the wavy-nut a notch or two, and test the play in the shutter speed ring. There should not be too much friction, nor too much play. When it feels right, lock the wavy-nut with the rivet. I believe the procedure is explained in one of the repair articles available on this site.

If you can help it, do not actually lift off the shutter speed cam, unless you want to learn a LOT more about how the mechanics of the shutter speed selection. It can take some patience to get that cam back in place.

However, compared to most early-to-mid 60s Japanese rangefinders, the Konica S2/S1.6 is relatively easy to repair.

Yellowjeep
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Scott, the wavy nut ring is what I used to adjust the tightness of the lens, I tightened it as far as I could and the rings became hard to turn but the lens was still loose. I back it of till they were free again and there is still play but is better than before.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In this situation, you have to check to see exactly what is loose. If the whole lens-shutter assembly is loose in relation to the camera body, then perhaps the ring nut that holds the lens-shutter assembly on the body needs tightening. You can get at it by opening the film door. It is the largest of all of the ring nuts back there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration