Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Graflex Crown View Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Graflex Crown View « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 49

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently aquired this Pre. WWII Graflex View Camera with 180mm Tessar in a Compur Dial shutter.
Does anyone have info on servicing the shutter?
Originally the escapement was hanging up and needed cleaning. I removed the dial cover thinking that this would be the route to disassembly in order to clean the escapement. WRONG!
Now. after re-installing the two cams under the dial cover, the shutter fires only at the fastest speed regardless of speed setting.
Any help with proper servicing will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any info. Richard.

Surpriz2002
Tinkerer
Username: Surpriz2002

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ric,
I ad a picture. Use lighter fluid to clean the complete area between no. 3 and no.5 ! Theese wheels are for the slow speeds. Never oil or lubricate the shutter. Donīt put the complete shutter into fluid.
If you need more infos send me an email and I will send you the complete shutter repair infos I have from 1917 book.
regards, petercompur dial

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a million for your help Peter.
I have been refinishing the wood work on this camera while waiting for a response to the shutter question.
I will be in touch via email.
Richard.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 201

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard: check to see when reassembling the shutter cam plate that you did not entrap a cam pin , That will do it every time. Also when reassembling make to be sure all pins are accounted for. Don

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Don. There are two cams under the dial cover plate. I have experimented with various positions (placements) of these two cams.
I now have various speeds, within the range of selections. but no slow speeds.
I am thankful for your help.
I have contacted Peter (Previous post) and hope that he may send more info. on the subject.
Richard.

Surpriz2002
Tinkerer
Username: Surpriz2002

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi friends,
I sent the infos to ricks email.

The piece at the red arrow has to move like a screen wiper when the shutter is fired at slow speed. Therefore it has to be "very clean" - no grease, oil or whatever at all! With assembling the dial piece you can`t make anything wrong cos it fits due to it`s shape( pin, hole etc...). Always turn the dial counterclockwise when setting ! Usually it`s stated on the dial how to turn - sometimes
not.
regards, Peter
shutter detail

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter; Your very eloquent instructions and pictures via email are greatly appreciated. Because of this I may now proceed with caution
Thanks, Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration