Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD11 shutter lag fix + shutte... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta XD11 shutter lag fix + shutter priority fix « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sigkyrre
Tinkerer
Username: Sigkyrre

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My XD11 had the following symptoms:
* In shutter priority, the lens would always stop down to f16.
* Shutter lag increased the past year, from acceptable to really bad (typically 1/4s, up to 1s in cold weather)

After quite a lot of digging I found this thread where Michael Linn suggested cleaning the gears that move the diaphragm lever. This took care of both my problems. I had to use more Ronsonol though, more like 10-15 drops, and 30-50 shutter firings to get it back to normal. With the motor drive attached I now get 2.8 fps!

There is a more elaborate repair explained here that I would have tried next if Michael's tip didn't work.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I will refund the cost of the extra drops of Ronsonol!

But thanks for posting this as many newcomers to the forum do not have the patience to search the archives before asking a question which has been answered before, sometimes many times. A lot of good stuff is in the archives!

Thanks,

Michael

Sigkyrre
Tinkerer
Username: Sigkyrre

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was a little quick to declare victory. After 2 days of no use, the aperture lever got stuck. Well not quite stuck, but barely enough to stop down from 1.4 to 2.0. I dripped more Ronsonol on the gears until it worked again, but the day after it was stuck again. Same thing happened a third time, so yesterday I cleaned the damper as well as the gears. Today it's stuck again.

This behavior is different from before in that the mirror and shutter goes off correctly without delay. I guess I have to get the gears out and wipe them off after the Ronsonol treatment.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration