Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need Values for Stolen Cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Need Values for Stolen Cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Palefrei
Tinkerer
Username: Palefrei

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Came home @ 4:00AM to find my house ransacked. Of many things that were stolen, the thieves emptied my curio cabinet of the misc cameras I'd accumulated at thrifts and garage sales.

Now I need to get market values for these cameras. Any help is appreciated.

Ansco Pioneer
Argus C3 Matchmatic
Howay Anny 44
Kodak Brownie Bullet Camera
Kodak Brownie Reflex
Kodak Brownie Synchro Reflex Model
Kodak Duraflex III
Kodak No. 1 Pocket Kodak Series II
Kodak Vigilant Six-16
Konica C35 EF P
Konica C35
Nikon 4004
Nikon L35AF
Nikon N55
Nikon N70
Nikon N75
Nikon N75
Nikon Nikkormat EL
Nikon TeleTouch
Ricoh Ricolet
Yashica Samurai X3.0
Nikon 70-200 AF Zoom
Soligor 70-230 Zoom lens for Nikon
Nikon Series E 50mm Lens
Quantaray 28-80 for Nikon AI

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 57

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A good start would be what you had paid at the thrift and garage sales.

Thomas_mann
Tinkerer
Username: Thomas_mann

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try
http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/
for some of them for replacement value
TM

Diser
Tinkerer
Username: Diser

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Palefrei, if by any chance you had serial numbers written somewhere, you may post them at the Stolen Equipment Registry - http://photo.net/neighbor/registry/
Not that anyone is checking this registry before buying a camera, but people look for serial numbers in Google, and photo.net is crawled often.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 126

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"A good start would be what you had paid at the thrift and garage sales."

I'm not sure whether or not you meant this as an ethical jab, but if his insurance is any good, that actually should be irrelevant. Regardless of what kind of bargains, inheritances or gifts he obtained in the past, it's current fair replacement value that the insurance policy should be covering. Assuming the loss is not fraudulent, there is no reason not to claim the full appreciated retail value of every item lost, and your insurance premiums are based on the likelihood of that event.

When a freak accident involving a drunk driver and a pickup truck on an icy curve demolished a part of my home workshop a few years ago, and with it a number of recent and antique power tools and toys, the insurance company accepted completed ebay sales and advertised on-line dealer prices for items that could not be simply replaced or repaired locally.

I'd use KEH.com as a source for fair retail pricing on any items that you can find in their listings, remembering that their condition ratings are very conservative, so most lost items should probably be honestly rated at "bargain" even if they were pretty nice.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"it's current fair replacement value that the insurance policy should be covering"

The replacement value for these should easily be estimated by exactly the means you have mentioned, and which is exactly how I maintain my inventory, which I update twice a year. Once such a list is made up, it's not difficult to keep up to date. Since it's not normally a good idea to keep an inventory list alongside the inventory, I keep mine as a spreadsheet stored on Googledocs, which means I can access it from anywhere. It also has serial numbers, date of purchase and seller, all information that would be useful for any insurance claim. The spreadsheet has two value columns, one the price I paid, and the other the current replacement value.

"Assuming the loss is not fraudulent,"

We have no way of knowing that. I suspect that the worth of the items on this list may be different to those on this forum that it would to the open market. (This isn't an forum I'd have chosen myself for this query, however.)

Alex

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I think maybe the most convenient way to get prices for these cameras and lenses would be to search completed auctions for these on eBay to see what they sell for. I'd say eBay is as close to a standard market price as you will find these days, and pretty much anything photographic has been for sale more than once on eBay recently, so you should find replacement cost for just about anything on your list.

Very sorry indeed for your troubles.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration