Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4 Question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zorki 4 Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug
Tinkerer
Username: Doug

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I bought a very clean Zorki 4 with slow shutter speed problems. Taking the top off and getting at it was not a problem. However the spring loaded knife edge that sticks out and is tripped by the cam from the slow speed mechanism was jammed. The knife is under the metal block that the slow speed is attached to. No problem. So I take it off and discover that it's going to be a real chore to get it back together. To complicate things the two screws that come up from underneath to hold the mounting block are held in place by the shutter crate. This prevents holding the spring and knife together and sliding it onto the top plate of the camera. I have been more meticulous than normal trying to be very patient, marking down every screw I take out and it's position. Overall the camera is pretty well made and relatively simple. This problem I have though is devilish. Does anyone have any ideas on reassembly of the knife and spring? Thanks!

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick Oleson has a lot detailed drawings on his great site - no idea if you have already seen them and if it's what you are looking for:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-58.html

Doug
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I have looked at that site, unfortuately it doesn't cover what I need. Thanks

Frankl
Tinkerer
Username: Frankl

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug,
I can't help you but, possibly someone on this site can.

Frank
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=34

Doug
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well a tiny drop of epoxy was enough to hold the spring to aid assembly. I still have a slow second curtain on shutter speeds of 1/60 and slower. Am I going to have to take the shutter crate and curtains completely out to get to the bottom of this? I am not going to arbitrarily crank up the tension on the curtain to mask the need for clean and lube. It's just that total disassembly may be one step beyond my capabilities not having done one before.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration