Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Locked-up mirror on Nikon FE Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Locked-up mirror on Nikon FE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fotoobscura
Tinkerer
Username: Fotoobscura

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I actually have several cameras like this (an fe and an f2). On my fe the problem literally just happened "overnight". I shot night fotos and the next morning after loading a new roll the mirror locked up and wouldn't close. I have tried everything I can think of including manually depressing the mirror back into the normal shooting position to no avail.

I have tried unloading the roll, moving the shutter speed to Bulb (which has sometimes assisted in the past with my fe2) and testing the self-timer (i've seen this get stuck before). batteries are fine and even 1/250 (default with no battery) still doesn't fire.

I am enclosing a picture of both the curtain and looking into the barrel where you can see the mirror locked up.

Thanks for all assistance!
Nikon FE front/back

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had the same problem with an FE. Try
setting the shutter-speed to M90, and it may
free the mirror up. An FE quirk ?
/Clay

Fotoobscura
Tinkerer
Username: Fotoobscura

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may be right. I just found another FE in my stash (a little bit older) and it had a locked mirror too. Apparently I put them away when they break :-)

I put a new battery in this other one I found, shot five photos and the mirror locked up again!

So now I have two FE's with locked mirrors and no salvation (except serious repair).

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 16

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, M90 is the full manual setting, no batteries
required. Have a look at the data here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/index.htm

I discovered the M90 trick when I had no batteries at hand for the camera. Just lose the
light meter and auto functions.

/Clay

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration