Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM-2n shutter/electrical problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » OM-2n shutter/electrical problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spyderman
Tinkerer
Username: Spyderman

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My OM-2 developed a sticky shutter (oily electromagnet) problem, so I wanted to clean it.

I removed the bottom of mirror box, flushed the electromagnet with lighter fluid, brushed with soft paintbrush and I let it dry for a couple hours.

Then glued back the rear part of the mirror box floor, then screwed back the front shield, and suddenly all speeds either on manual or auto would fire like 1/1000. When I removed the front shield, all speeds work fine.

It seems the front shield is shorting something, So I tried to put insulation tape on the diode leads which are very close to the front shield. Still no improvement. I painted the back of the shield. Nothing. Still short circuit.

Finally I put the insulation tape under the screw holding the front shield. And voila - all speeds work fine again.

The most puzzling thing is, that before I tried to clean the magnet, everything was fine - no short at all. And I'm 99.9% sure I replaced it back in correct position. I've had it off before, and I always replaced it correctly...

Do any of you OM-gurus know what is it the front shield is shorting ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration