Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Different thread pitch on 49mm screw ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Different thread pitch on 49mm screw lens. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_rgb

Post Number: 40

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone.

I ran across an F= 200m lens.
( Accura Diamatic YS ) (1:3.9 ) No.216567E
( YS-Auto ) Lens made in Japan.
An A & an M adjusts to the red dot for F settings 3.9 to 22

It is obvious that the thread is too close for the Hanimex Praktica Super TL Body.
The 35mm Westron lens treads in & out of the Hanimex very smoothly.

Under the magna ring light I can see no burrs or flats. All I can see is this lens unlike any other lens devices 2x, 1.4x, & 3x + 2 other practicas & 1 Fujica 701 will not take this lens. The small spring loaded rear pin is in the same place as any Auto lens pin is placed.

No damage was done by me, start get tight = Stop & back off.

Does another 49mm fine thread lens exist? Is this a Macro lens? I wonder why the like new rear thread on cover screw on and tighten up straight & true. I have seen narrow thread fit in between a corser thread. This is rare & not something I have seen a lot.

Thank for any info you can provide me.

Mike

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 572

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean 42mm, correct?

The key is the letters "YS" on the lens. This is NOT an M42 mount lens. The YS was a screw-on interchangeable lens mount system, which used the same 42mm thread and register as the T mount - so if you have an M42 T mount, you can thread that onto the lens and use it, though I can't say just how the diaphragm setting will come out. The difference between YS and T mounts is the auto diaphragm linkage in the YS mounts, which was a fairly straightforward pin-pusher coupling in the case of M42 screw, but got pretty elaborate in other mounts such as the Canon breechlock.

As you have observed, the thread of both the YS and T mount systems is 42mm in diameter, but of a finer pitch than the M42 camera mount.

Rick

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick said:

( So if you have an M42 T mount, you can thread that onto the lens and use it, though I can't say just how the diaphragm setting will come out. )

Why was this lens made if you may encounter problems with F settings? All my Sons other lenses are all auto & well made, this is a unique lens to say the least. I'm not sure how to advise him. How do I know, putting more money into this lens may be a wasted effort.?

You mention others lenses such as Canon perhaps others this lens mounts with. I remember spending $25.00 on a Vivitar 500mm Mirror lens & can't find a Nikon Body to use it with. It now is in the weird lens box. It realy pays to know what you are buying at Flea Markets etc before you buy.

Mike

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 575

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lens is made to be used with a YS mount, with which you get full auto diaphragm operation. YS mounts are not very thick on the ground, but you might watch eBay for an M42 mount for your lens. The lens will also work on a T mount, except that the T mount has no provision for auto diaphragm operation and you have an auto lens.... this is why I said that your aperture may be uncertain if you put a T mount on the lens. I do this myself with two YS lenses (a 200 and a 300mm), but I make sure that the auto diaphragm pin is depressed in the lens so it will behave as a manual lens when on the T mount.

Putting more money into the lens for a proper YS mount will probably not be a wasted effort; however, you also have the alternative of selling the lens and putting the money toward a fixed-mount lens, which may turn out to be the more economical route overall.

Your Vivitar 500mm mirror lens should also be an interchangeable mount lens ... in this case, a T mount. Have you tried twisting the Nikon mount and unscrewing it off of the back of the lens? If you can do that, you can replace the Nikon mount with an M42 T mount (or use the YS mount, if you find one) and use the lens on your screw mount cameras.

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm glad to hear that Rick knowing the 500mm Mirror lens can be used in the same fasion. I will search for a YS mount thanks for helping me to understand how this all works.

I have a lot to study now & if I do my part, will end up with 2 nice lenses to use.
Thanks for all your help Rick.

Mike

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 579

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck!

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got It!
Rick you were right about finding 1 however it
cost another lens an 85x210 that has a Tripod coller & weighs 2.5 Prakticias. Why I could find them for every other Camera, but the common & inexpensieve M42 who knows.

Just remember check your lens buys closely lest you find
yourself with a YS m42 :o) & find yourself on a wild snipe hunt.

Cheers
Mike
PS: How much with adaptor & lens? Don't ask UGH!

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Several smaller manufacturers used the YS mount. I have a Sun 85mmf1.8 with the Sensorex, Pentax M42, and Canon mounts. Nice lens and the mounts work well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration