Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Can anyone tell its a damaged ZORKI-4K Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Can anyone tell its a damaged ZORKI-4K « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Riz
Tinkerer
Username: Riz

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have just bought a used Zorki-4K. I have read that setting the shutter speed before cocking the shutter may damage the camera. Please tell me how to know that my camera is damaged becuase the shutter speed ring is free is there is some unwinding sound too.

Take care and regards,

Rizwan

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 342

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure what you mean by 'shutter speed ring is free', sometimes the dial can work loose. Normally when you turn the speed dial onto the slow speeds, you will hear a faint sound of turning gearwheels as the slow speeds engage. Have you tried cocking the shutter and releasing it? You do not indicate if the shutter is working in some fashion, or if the mechanism is completely dead. Without more direct information, it is impossible to provide an answer. Basically if the shutter does not fire, your camera has a problem.

Note - Apart from any damage that may or may not occur, in trying to set the shutter speed before cocking. The main problem is that it is impossible to set the correct shutter speed, until the mechanism is cocked. This is a common feature on cameras that have a speed dial directly coupled to the main shaft - thus rotating on the release of the shutter, but having the setting datum line engraved at a fixed point on the top plate.

Riz
Tinkerer
Username: Riz

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Glenn,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried cocking the shutter and releasing it. Its working fine and without any issue and the shutter curtain is also working fine.

The problem is shutter setting dial is moving freely. Is that a big problem? What is the solution in your mind.

Thanks and regards,

Rizwan

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 343

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rizwan,

By 'dial moving freely', do you mean that you cannot select a different shutter speed? If this is so, you will need to tighten the small grub screws that hold the dial onto the main shaft. The screws are in the side of the dial. Make sure these screws are tight, and see if the the dial will now change the speed when rotated.

If the dial was loose, you will now have to realign the dial. The easiest way is to set B, Turn the dial gently and do not force if the B does not reach the datum line, if this happens, loosen the grub screws and set the B against the datum line, tighten the screws. You should now have the shutter set on B. If on the first try the B aligned with the datum but the shutter was on another speed, continue to turn dial in the same direction until it stops. Loosen the grub screws and turn the dial back to realign the B against the datum line, tighten the screws. You should now be able to select all the speeds.

Techmans
Tinkerer
Username: Techmans

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Concerning your primary question of turning the speed dial before transporting to the next frame: don't do it. Something inside will work loose and the camera will jam.
I bought a Fed 3 new in the early 60's and discovered that by turning the dial knob before transporting the film I could cock the shutter and make double exposures.However, after a while the camera jammed as the instruction booklet had promised.Fortunately I lived in the same town ( The Hague)as the importer for the Netherlands and went to bring the beast for repair.A burly Russian reappeared 15 minutes later and told me in very broken Dutch what I had done and this was almost punishable by sending someone to the Gulag.
There was no charge but he had his say.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 66

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although it won't help if the damage has already been done, a tip I've found useful is to make a small label using one of those electronic Dymo (or similar) labellers, with a short memo like 'WIND BEFORE SETTING', to stick on the camera top. I put such a label on my Zorki 4, and it serves its purpose well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration