Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 SE shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax K1000 SE shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Curator
Tinkerer
Username: Curator

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Pentax K1000 SE that was working just fine except for somewhat slow shutters speeds and a chipped prism. I took the top off to replaced the prism. Then I took the bottom off to inject naptha to try to correct the shutter speeds (that helped). After firing the shutter probably 50 times, it charged but wouldn't fire. I noticed that the spring that keeps tension on the "charged flag" was off and I wasn't sure which way it went so I took the top off another K1000 SE that was working perfectly and used it as a guide for repositioning the spring on the other. Then I took the bottom off the second one to see if I could learn anything about the charging and firing process that would help diagnose the first one. After severl dozen cycles with the bottom off, this one also charged but wouldn't fire. So now I have 2 cameras that were working and now are not. I can't imagine why removing the bottom or top would result in eventual failure.

I pulled the front off the first one and can see that the stop on the release button does clear the pad which should allow the shutter to fire. Any ideas or information on the shutter release mechanism or how I can manually release it would be appreciated. - Malcolm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Curator
Tinkerer
Username: Curator

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I solved my problem thanks to the K1000 service manual I found on pentax-manuals.com. This is a known issue with the mirror catch lever getting out of place. Apparantly, having the bottom cover off makes it more likely. The fix is simple: just remove the cir-clip and reposition it per the instructions in the manual. - Malcolm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration