Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 leaving red streaks on photos Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon AE-1 leaving red streaks on photos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Orion77
Tinkerer
Username: Orion77

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I have a Canon AE-1, and lately I have been getting large red vertical streaks on the photos. This was my mom's camera, she gave it to me about a year ago or so, and it's been doing this on and off ever since I've been using it. She hadn't used it for about six months before giving it to me, and it was stored in its case in a cool dry place. The last time she used it the photos did not have these red streaks, but she always used it at a lower shutter speed. This happens mainly when I use it at higher shutter speeds in bright sunlight for fast action pictures. Is this something that needs to be repaired, or does it just need to be cleaned? I don't have a polarizing filter, so could this be due to a lack of one? If anyone could help me I would REALLY appreciate it! Thanks!

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is that there is a light leak. You will have to replace the foam around the back of the camera. It's a simple fix and not expensive. See

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

for details. There is even a guide for your camera. You can buy the light seal kit directly from Jon Goodman on ebay.

Orion77
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for your help! I'll definitely try it! I really appreciate it.

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer
Username: Jonnymorris

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can vouch for that Jon Goodman light seal kit, it's an amazing bargain! I've resealed two old cameras with it and there's still loads left. Really easy to do as well, just takes a bit of precision and patience.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 344

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nicole,

Jon's kit will definitely cure the problem. A few words of explanation: - Careful storage does not prevent this problem. Unfortunately the plastic foam used for the light seals in cameras of this era, degrades over time. Initially this will show itself by the foam loosing its 'spring', and remaining compressed - hence your red streaks. In the worse cases as the degradation proceeds, the foam turns into a black sticky mass.

When you order the seal kit, ask for the Canon A Series specific instructions to be included. This will enable you to replace the foam mirror buffer strip also. If this is not done, the degrading buffer will not only cause the mirror to hang up, but the gooey mess can ruin the focus screen and mirror surface.

Foam replacement is not difficult and Jon's detailed instructions make it easy, even for the first timer.

Orion77
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for all the help! I took a look at the camera and I can see that the plastic foam has turned to black sticky stuff. I just ordered the kit off eBay and I'm really looking forward to fixing this and being able to use my camera again.
Thanks again!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration