Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica MTL 5B shutter/wind-on jamme... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Praktica MTL 5B shutter/wind-on jammed. To repair or donate as spares? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer
Username: Jonnymorris

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I already have the SLR's that I want, just picked this thing up cheap on the off-chance that I might be able to fix it up to sell on, but it looks like it may require a major strip-down which I don't think I can be bothered with. The problem it has is probably typical - the wind-on lever acts as if the shutter is cocked, but the shutter button won't release it. The camera looks like it's taken a hefty knock as the plastic top prism cover is cracked, however the prism and everything else is in-tact (I have the top cover off) and everything apart from shutter/wind-on appears to work. Can't see anything bent and nothing rattles inside.

Does anyone want this for spares? What can I do with it? The 50mm lens has some fungus in the front element so isn't worth selling on it's own.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 70

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The external screws fit the Rollei 35 like they belong. I would keep it and use it as a source for screws.

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or how about I just dismantle it completely and keep all the small parts? I'm not particularly into camera repair myself, but I don't like to see anything remotely salvageable go to landfill.

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, here's an update on the situation: I decided to strip the camera for parts, although I don't need any myself so if anyone needs a screw or other parts from this camera I'll happily ship them out (small parts only! Anything heavy and you can pay postage on it). I have the vinyl from the front of the camera, although the metal sheet underneath was kind of destroyed when I took it off.

I believe the fault was either a bit of grit in the gears or something was amiss with the mirror mechanism, either way it wasn't a simple fix as I had to strip it right down to get to the gears anyway, and I don't have any references for the MTL 5B to see if the mirror mechanism is as it should be.

Don't ask me what goes where though - I did take photos (which I will share in this thread) but the parts have all gone into component draws and are mixed up!

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some photos I took during disassembly. Hope they're useful to someone!

Cover removed

Cover removed

Cover removed

Bottom PCB

Vinyl removed

Wind mechanism

Wind mechanism

Wind mechanism

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And some more...

Wind mechanism

Shutter mechanism

Shutter back

Don_m
Tinkerer
Username: Don_m

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jonny--

sorry to be so late with this reply---

I read this board often but rarely post,and I see you"ve already scrapped this camera---but for future refrence--

I have a number of Prakticas from an L to a MTL50 and I've run into the jammed winder a number of times, and have successfully "Un-jammed them, What worked for me is--

if you remove the lense and look in the front of the camera -on the upper left side,near the back,there is a square metal tab---this tab is hung up--not sure,but I think it's probably has to do with the double exposure prevention lock up----take a small screwdriver or pen and push the tab towards the rear of the camera,while trying to wind on/press the shutter release.

Heh----better luck next time.

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's OK Don, I learned quite a bit from the experience anyway as it's the first SLR I ever dismantled this far, and I think there may have been more damage anyway as the shutter only half-worked after I released it (by pushing various levers, dunno what they do!) I will keep the parts in case anyone wants them, but eventually I will have to throw them away. May attempt to give them away on eBay or eBid for postage only, see what happens!

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've listed this as parts on eBid here:
http://uk.nine.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1211565708-1940-0&mo=auction

I find eBid to be a much friendlier place than eBay, there are far fewer restrictions and no eBay Gestapo telling me what I can and can't do! Very easy and free to sign up:
http://uk.ten.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?ref=heatemyfather&mo=register-main

Jonnymorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera has now gone to a good home (a collector in Australia), so I no longer have it for sale on eBid, although I do have other old camera bits and pieces for sale. Hope these photos may still be of use to someone here. :-)

Penop3
Tinkerer
Username: Penop3

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is here in Australia. I took the focus screen out to replace a damaged one in my MTL and then had a good look at all the 200+ bits. As it was a cold, wet winter weekend here I started fiddling it all back together. I still have to assemble the frame counter and solder the electrical connections, but otherwise it all seems to be working - film advance, shutter, mirror all ok. I didn't find any reason for your original problem Jonny, so I suppose you corrected something by taking it apart.

Murray_kelly
Tinkerer
Username: Murray_kelly

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Penop3, do you have the 4 screws that hold the lens mount to the body? I have a Exacta rtl 1000 like a pentacon, and the flange is separated. I cannot locate replacements anywhere in Brisbane.

Thanks
Murray Kelly

PS -a bit late - hope someone sees this! :0

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am realy late with this contribution, but I have had two Prakticas both of which were locked-up and I cleared them both with the method described by DON_M. Remove the lens and push on the said tab to unlock shutter. Must be a common problem. Both cameras worked fine after.
Karl.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration