Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Vitessa Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Voigtlander Vitessa « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olroy2044
Tinkerer
Username: Olroy2044

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just given a Vitessa, and the chrome is blistering on the corners, probably from being stored in the leather case for so many years. How can I stop this from progressing? Also, does anyone know what kind of coating (if any) the f2 Ultron lens has?
[IMG]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc136/olroy2044/Vitessa/Vitessa-1.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks in advance. Roy

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 345

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I chemically passivate areas of chrome plating exhibiting this problem. However I am not going to give details; the process is not one for kitchen sink DIY and can cause more damage, if not done properly. Your best course of action is to carefully clean the chrome with a mild detergent. Leave to dry and then wipe over with naphtha/lighter fluid. Then apply a good quality wax polish and work well into the surface. You should apply 2/3 coats of wax initially and then occasionally during use of the camera. Your objective is to seal the surface and stop sweat/moisture penetrating intro the brass base metal.

I use a polish called 'Renaissance Wax' which is used by many museums in the UK, to protect all manner of metal, leather and even paper items. ie firearms, leather bindings, armour etc. This product does not finger mark or leave a 'sticky' finish. You may find a good quality automotive wax chrome protector works just as well. Look for a shop/store that deals with the 'Classic Car' fraternity.

Olroy2044
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn--Thanks for the info! Should I remove the loose, and flaking pieces? Roy

Olroy2044
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The reason I'm asking about the coating is that there is a small spot of fungus (about 3mm wide) on the inner surface of the rear element. I would like to remove it, but I'm afraid of doing more damage. Obviously, I don't want it to spread! Thanks Roy

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 347

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there are loose/flaking pieces, remove them carefully. In similar instance, I used a modeling knife blade to cut back the lifted areas. You may find that a suitable (colour) silver model paint can hide the damaged areas. I have a number of the old Humbrol paints in various silver shades/finishes that have filled in some larger areas of disfiguration.

Not sure about the coating on that particular lens. All I can say is that I have cleaned lenses of the same period from Voigtlander using the usual care, with no adverse effects. I always clean with microfibre cloths.

Olroy2044
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Glenn. I know what I'm doing after work today! :-) Roy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration